Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Has this ever happened to anyone? >

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Spike

Default Has this ever happened to anyone?

I shot a deer the other not with an arrow and had a pretty good idea of where it ran. It was getting dark and the blood wasnt the best. Anyways... I actually walked past the deer as i was looking at the blood trail and it seems the blood went on in the opposite direction of where it ran/expired. So the deer must have circled back and expired allowing me to actually pass it without realizing. This never happened to me and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

pwrstrke most of the deer that I have had to blood trail have circled back. I shot a buck 2 years ago with my 06 busted his heart in 1/2. He ran a complete 300 yard circle and expired 5 feet from where I shot him.

dang thing nearly gave me a heart attack. I still have not figured out how that buck ran so far without a heart.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Spike

My wife shot one last year and it was double lunged it ran back in a circle and laid down under a tree. one tiny speck of blood on a leaf where it was shot and rustled up leafs leading up too it.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I shot a fawn last year with crossbow. after 20 yds the trail seemed to stop so I decided to pull back and give it more time. walked directly toward my house and 20 yards from where I was trailing I saw more blood....then I stepped out of the woods and found the deer laying right in front of my garage. It must have doubled back...why I have no idea because it was a double lung shot ...all told it ran maybe 40-50 yards.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

I had a doe last yr run away stop and turn around and run almost exactly where I arrowed her and ran off another direction. Looked like the same blood trail except the splatter was going in both directions. .
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

A buddy of mine last year was cussing a deer that did that it hit the thick stuff and he followed the trail in some rough thorn bushes and it had circled back and died within 30 yards of impact.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Spike

Happened to me with a bad rifle shot. Saw it run about 50 yards and literally nose dive into 3 down pine trees. I waited a little while (not long enough) and I spooked it up, ran basically backwards on the same blood trail and expired about 30 yards from where I shot it.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Spike

I shot a doe last year and she ran forever the blood trail circled several times.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Spike

I shot a bear near dark. Went to track him, used the ball of yarn method. This was a big ball of yarn that was strung through the forest. The blood trail led me to the place I shot the bear. So what do you have? 400 yards of yarn in a big circle and a wounded bear following me.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunter440
I shot a bear near dark. Went to track him, used the ball of yarn method. This was a big ball of yarn that was strung through the forest. The blood trail led me to the place I shot the bear. So what do you have? 400 yards of yarn in a big circle and a wounded bear following me.
Whoah!! LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.