Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scents.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default scents.

ok......

i have used scents in the past with little success.

code blue, tinks, buck bomb, etc.......

WHO HAS THE TRIED AND TRUE SCENT? WHAT BRAND?

IT'S PRE-RUT GOING TO LATE PRE HERE IN NY, AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY SOME ESTRUS OR DOMINANT BUCK.

ANY STORIES, INPUT, HELP !!!

TIRED OF WASTING MONEY.

THANKS

Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

22 views and no one posts a friggin scent brand they would recommend?

good thing I wasn;t waiting for oxegyn.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

The only scent I have ever had any luck using it trails end 309. I have used tinks, hs estrous and probably every other estrous scent too and never had any luck except trails end. It is not an "estrous" scent but seems to bring out thier curiosity to check out the scent.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

thank you kind fellow !

I'll give it a whirl !
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the doe estrous as a cover scent and attractant, especially once the rut has started for the latter... It's hard to tell how well a scent works unless you have a deer actually approach your scent wick etc. But I believe it works well as a cover scent as well as a "drag rag" to cover your trail. I have been using the "code red estrous" which is made by Code Blue. You get 2oz instead of the usual 1oz containers and it's only like 5 bucks @ Rural King farm stores. For the most part, I believe the cheaper scents work just as well as the expensive. This is just my opinion however. I believe I used the Trails End in the past. I also spray down with scent eliminator spray before going into the field. Again, I go for the best deal. I bought a large bottle of the "EVOLVE" from wally world. I do believe it helps reduce odors. Alot of stuff sold may or may not work but I blieve most of the deer scents and scent eliminator sprays work to a certain degree. I tend to stay away from buck urine unless it is going in a mock scrape. I think buck urine may spook the deer if used before the rut starts. Again, only my opinion. People may or may not agree with this. Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Spike

I don't use any scents other than earth scent. My wife uses Sweet Demise by Doc's and it is supposed to bring in doe and she always seems to see more doe than me. It hasn't worked to bring a hot doe in with a big buck behind her. Other than that I have tried Tink's, code blue, buck bombs, and lastly golden estrus and none worked for me I have seen just as many if not more deer without using it.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

The only scent that I have seen work with any consistency is made by California scent company. It's called "buck scent". It is designed to train hunting dogs, but it works. And I have seen probably 15-20 bucks come in with their nose to the ground, hot on the trail. I have never seen a buck come into an estrous or "heat" scent.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Spike

I've tried every scent I think known to man in my 30+ years in the field. I had given up on ever using anything other than a good Earth Cover scent until last year when I puchased some VS-1 from Conquest Scents. I was a little sceptical but after the first outing using this stuff I was a true believer. I had a hot doe actually walk up to the tree I had placed it on and lick the stuff off. She stayed around my stand for over 3 hrs which was simply amazing. During this time I had 5 different 8pts walk up to the same tree and stick their noses up to it and then you guessed it licked the tree. My son finally took the last one. I saw multiple deer over the season do the samething over and over and took my best buck so far thanks to VS-1. It will be in my pack from now on. I'm also going to try the Deer Herd scent this year as it is suppose to make the deer more relaxed? Time will tell but I would definately give this Estrous scent a try. Be prepared it's expensive but worth every penny!!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Buckyou
22 views and no one posts a friggin scent brand they would recommend?

good thing I wasn;t waiting for oxegyn.
Sorry, just seen your post. I have used scents for years, I never put a lot of faith in any until I started using the "Wildlife Research" Brand. I have witnessed it working,, for the last few years It has been my choice. JMOP Good Luck Doc
Old 11-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Typical Buck

I have used Tink's (Doe in heat) and it does work, but you have to have deer in the area. Actually, there should be doe that are in heat or close to it in the area. I usually drag a rag around and then throw it up in a tree as high as the string will reach. I had a doe come in and lay down under the rag for a long time until a buck chased her. I had a buck rub the tree the rag was in while I watched. One rifle season the rut was late and I threw the rag up in a tree and never got to sit down before a small buck came running over the hill. It seems that timing and the way you use the stuff means a lot. All these things happened on public land. My experience is that unless you have a couple hot does running around, the lure really does not work on public land more than a day or two. If you use it, try to stay in thick areas where the deer feel a little more comfortable moving around during the day. Lures work but you have to have the right combination of events and some luck too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.