HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How do you gut your deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/352542-how-do-you-gut-your-deer.html)

fordtough150 11-01-2011 04:37 PM

I don't split the hip or chest. Just gotta roll up the sleeves and reach in!

Night Crawler 11-01-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308 (Post 3869648)
For the guys who don't gut - do you really want to drag that much extra weight? For a monster buck, you could be dragging 40-50lbs. unless you guys shoot your deer right where you can drive the truck to :D

I aint draggin crap more than 50-75 yds to a path I can get my 4 wheeler to.

I know what you mean, if I was way back in no where, I would be lightening the load though.

actually if I was in that case I would still do what I do, just out there and would carry a black garbage bag with me and just carry the meat out, and head if a buck. so I still wouldn't drag no 200+lb deer anywhere

chas0218 11-01-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by pluckit (Post 3869588)
A sharp knife will slice right through the sternum of the rib cage right up to the neck. If you have a knife with a saw blade you can use that to saw apart the hips but what I do is cut around the rectum and with string I tie off the colon. Then from inside I tie off the colon in 2 places an inch or so apart, Then separate the colon between the two tie off spots. This prevents anything from coming out during the removal of the entrails. Then cut the diaphragm from the chest wall, reach up into the neck and cut the esophagus and everything comes right out.You can work to get the colon and rectum out now, or later when you can easily split the hips apart, with no worries of contamination since you have tied them off. A hatchet is also a good tool for splitting the hips.

Father in law splits the hip but I don't he does it so it cools faster but I don't do it in the field because I don't like all the dirt and leaves getting in there when dragging it.

Originally Posted by Flying Mullet (Post 3869596)
zip from the v in the chest down around the genitals not cutting the bag, cut around butt hole or use butt out tool, reach in (poke through tissue) up the neck up to your shoulder and cut the esophaXXgus as far up as possible, flip it over with legs spread and everything comes out, done.

X2 on the butt out that thing works great! I pull it out tie it then pull it back thru after its all free.

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3869657)
I don't drag deer, quit that years ago...

Depends upon where I'm hunting, most of the time I run a 4-wheeler up to them and throw the deer on the front rack...

On game land, I carry a rachet pulley in my backpack...I find a tree to hoist the deer and debone in the field...I put the meat in garbage bags, put in backpack and come out with them...

And save yourself a tag in the process. JK haha

JagMagMan 11-01-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3869628)
Dang, must be a North Carolina thing...My buddies and I have amazed others on how we can get the tenderloin out without dropping the guts...

We debone the hams as well, unless someone wants a whole ham to smoke...Then we pop the ball and socket joint at the hip and remove the ham...The only time we use a saw is to cut off the tail and cut the front legs off...

I do basically the same thing, but I hang them head up! After I get everything off of the carcass, I let it down on its belly and reach in around the backbone and get the tenderloins.

UPHunter08 11-01-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3869657)
I don't drag deer, quit that years ago...

Depends upon where I'm hunting, most of the time I run a 4-wheeler up to them and throw the deer on the front rack...

On game land, I carry a rachet pulley in my backpack...I find a tree to hoist the deer and debone in the field...I put the meat in garbage bags, put in backpack and come out with them...

Not an option in many states, especially those that require you register your deer before you can butcher it. I don't split either hip or ribcage. Just cut around the anus, cut the windpipe, and the entire guts come falling out if you can tip the carcass so that it's facing downhill.

I think too many people make a big deal out of gutting a deer...doesn't take long if you have a sharp knife and know what you're doing (10-15 minutes).

Michlw39 11-01-2011 05:58 PM

I've field-dressed a lot of deer. I've watched others do it various ways over the years. This video is by far the BEST way I've seen of doing it. Did it this exact way on my last deer--love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU

flyinlowe 11-02-2011 06:13 AM

In the field I don't split the ribs or the hips. I get the guts out and as much of the esophogus as I can without getting too messy. Once I get it home I hang it by the back legs and then split it open and get it cleaned out better and spread open to cool.

nchawkeye 11-02-2011 07:54 AM

One the subject of tagging...Simple solution, carry a pen and a cell phone...I call in when I lay my hands on the deer, write down the verification number and I'm legal...

We get unlimited doe tags here, just pay $10 for two...So legally, we can kill 6 deer without buying more and if I need more I can get them...

UPHunter08 11-02-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3869882)
One the subject of tagging...Simple solution, carry a pen and a cell phone...I call in when I lay my hands on the deer, write down the verification number and I'm legal...

We get unlimited doe tags here, just pay $10 for two...So legally, we can kill 6 deer without buying more and if I need more I can get them...

Yep, that's in your state. In many states, you have to physically bring them to a registration place (often a gas station or other business). Can't have it quartered, skinned, butchered, etc until after you have that little metal tag affixed by the registration center. So my point remains the same...many (most?) of us don't have the luxury of butchering our deer on the spot.

nchawkeye 11-02-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by UPHunter08 (Post 3869916)
Yep, that's in your state. In many states, you have to physically bring them to a registration place (often a gas station or other business). Can't have it quartered, skinned, butchered, etc until after you have that little metal tag affixed by the registration center. So my point remains the same...many (most?) of us don't have the luxury of butchering our deer on the spot.

No prob...I just didn't want you guys to think I wasn't tagging my deer...