Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

8 point buck

Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Spike

I live in central Alabama which is very comparable to your area. The deer would have a darker color if he was older. Generally if they have that reddish color they are young, it fades with age. When they get old 4.5+ they get darker brown and have black hair on the top of their back between the shoulders extending down the back. When you see one its obvious. Don't argue with him though, he knows the truth as well. Its not that old and could have grown another 1-2yrs at least. Just tell him you will shoot them that young if he is going to. Remember to save a picture to show him when you shoot yours that young. Like another poster said weight is a very good determining factor. If you can lift him by yourself with the guts out... hes not old enough.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Jeff not necessarily if he lived in the open where the sun hit him a lot he would lighten up.

IMO this is a 4.5 yo buck, his long snout usually means a few years on him.

But to be honest who gives a rat behind how old he was look at granps face it was worth it.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Compared to deer that I see here in WV, he looks to be 1 1/2 to a 2 1/2 year old deer but that doesn't matter. The smile on your grandad's face tells me it's plenty big enough. Great pic and one you'll cherish years down the road.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a decent size deer to me. I think it may have a little age as well due to the long snout. Congrats to your granddad!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forget about QDM in this situation...look at that smile on your grandfathers face. He looks happy to take the buck, therefore everyone should be happy right along with him.
Cherish the good times you have to be with your grandfather while you have him! (not trying to be negative)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forget about QDM in this situation...look at that smile on your grandfathers face. He looks happy to take the buck, therefore everyone should be happy right along with him.
Cherish the good times you have to be with your grandfather while you have him! (not trying to be negative)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

If you're really interested in finding out the age, check out the tooth wear on the lower jaw. There are charts on-line that you can compare to in order to determine age.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
He looks like a nice 2.5yo would up here. Maybe 3.5 max.

But I don't care about QDM. I would have shot that buck. It's nice.

How much did it weigh? In our camp, weight of deer is just as big a deal as score. Although I would take either.
He did have a nice body. He weighed about 160-165.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JeffHoskins
I live in central Alabama which is very comparable to your area. The deer would have a darker color if he was older. Generally if they have that reddish color they are young, it fades with age. When they get old 4.5+ they get darker brown and have black hair on the top of their back between the shoulders extending down the back. When you see one its obvious. Don't argue with him though, he knows the truth as well. Its not that old and could have grown another 1-2yrs at least. Just tell him you will shoot them that young if he is going to. Remember to save a picture to show him when you shoot yours that young. Like another poster said weight is a very good determining factor. If you can lift him by yourself with the guts out... hes not old enough.
These pics don't really do justice to the deer's color. He had almost a black mane running from his neck down his back. He also had a really gray face. My Grandaddy could very well be right about his age and he's happy with him so I am too