Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Massive Rub!! Need Help Identifing. >

Massive Rub!! Need Help Identifing.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Massive Rub!! Need Help Identifing.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Bigfoot lol
Old 10-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by arrow2512
Bigfoot lol
x2 exactly what I was thinkin! lol
Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like a bear to me. We had one doing that to a tree by the outhouse at our deercamp a few years ago and it looked very similar. I agree with blackhawk archery, the scratches look to deep to be from an antler. Like someone else said, try puting a trail cam watching it and see what it is.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like yall are a bit lost.

The deep cuts WERE NOT made by a deer - that I can guarantee you. (Unless there is some deer that has headgear that resembles Edward Scissorshands > > > > > > Bucky Hatchethead?)

But from what I see in the first pic it looks like a rub to me from what I can see. The deeper gouges likely from some brow tine work.

Look further than the rub to establish authenticity.

1. Look at the shavings and bark at the base of the tree. Do they look like a sharp instrument was used?

2. Carefully look at the ground around the base of the tree and envision a buck and what he would be doing to work a tree. Where would his feet be? Are there footprints or disturbances where his footing would have been working?

3. And rubs are typically around other rubs (read up on rub lines). Look for other rubs in the area. Rub lines when hunted propoerly can prove deadly for a buck.

P.S. We are having some good rubs appearing here this last week or two also - scrapes too.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Spike

Bear or mountain lion
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen that kind of marking twice before. Once on the eastern shore of Virginia and once in the southwest Virginia mountains. The one in the mountains is in black bear territory so I always assumed it was a bear. We had them on the mountain that year as they had been up all the wild cherry trees tearing the tops out to get the cherries.

The one on the eastern shore was puzzling as there was a Ranger there who said there were no bears on the eastern shore. I hope you figure out what it is as we never figured out for sure what made those marks we found.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

its the Jersey Devil!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely not a deer rub, im leaning towards bear but I guess it could be a predator of some kind