Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dont you think its a little overboard?? >

Dont you think its a little overboard??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dont you think its a little overboard??

Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dont you think its a little overboard??

Today I realized that all my hunting clothes had somehow vanished from my closet or anywhere to be found. I then realized it was time to buy new ones...and wow did that give me some surprises! All I usually buy is a set of camo coveralls and a good set of boots if I only have one set at the time cause those two weeks of hunting easily ruin a pair of boots. When I went to cabelas and basspro I came to the realization that this scentlok and scent locker/neutralizer stuff has taken things too far...when I grew up I hunted in the same clothes I did chores in..didnt not wear deodorant or shower with some special soap and had just as much luck as I did the years I chose to try neutralizers..I do not believe scent lockers or special soaps and such are even remotely necessary no matter how serious the hunter..maybe theres something im missing? But 400 dollars for some coveralls is just a bit outrageous..100 dollar shirts..50 dollar socks...and not to mention the cost of the wash's and sprays...I know just cause theyre available doesnt mean you have to buy them..but it has quite obviously upped the prices of normal cold weather clothing..and camo itself.. as I saw someone else say earlier today I really hope that todays young hunters dont think you need special clothes or fancy equipment to hunt whitetail..you need a rifle..warm clothes and dedication..
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Spike

Being a fairly young hunter I'll agree and disagree. You won't see me spending the extra 100 bucks for a set of bibs that is scent lock versus ones that aren't. But I do buy spray on no-scent, wash with deoderizing detergent, and keep my clothes in an airtight bin till I get to the woods. With that said, if the deer are gonna circle and get your scent, they're probably not going to miss it.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

I've always known to play the wind I choose my position in the field on where the winds going..and I kno the land well enough usually to know where theyre coming from so that scent isnt an issue but if im going to be stalking or hunting umfamiliar land I would wear neutralizer but thats bout it.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's back up here...You wear out a pair of boots in 2 weeks??

Dang, how much walking do you do??? Boots usually last me 5 years or better...
Once they are good and broken in I try to save them for turkey season, that's
when I do a bunch of walking...

As far as scent control, consider this:
For the past 20 years or so I have gone on a week hunt with my brothers and a few
buddies back to were we grew up...We have a cabin in the woods with no indoor plumbing...I may go a couple of days without a bath, don't shave the whole week and might wear the same pants a few days and the same coveralls all week...I have never owned a piece of scent eliminating clothing...I do use my boots only for hunting but do not use rubber boots...I did for many years but after turning my ankle several times and having to wear a soft cast for a few weeks I finally went to leather boots for the ankle support...

We consistantly kill 15-20 deer during that week...

They can't smell you if you are down wind...
Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ah, prices go up

Years ago, I stayed and lived in a small hotel in a major city. It was inexpensive, temporary and it fit my needs.
I checked lately and the hotel is long gone and there are some luxurious accomodations on the block for inexpensive living in the range of two to three million dollars.

Things you learn on the internet!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that the prices of some of the hunting garmints with the scent lock type linings has gotten out of hand. The real killer is the stuff they came out with that supposedly blocks your electro magnetic field so that the deer can't "sense" that you are there. LOL! I do use the scent killer spray and scentless soap for my shower and for my clothes. I figure if I spent 1200 on my bow setup 200 for my stand, 250 for my blind, what is 4 bucks for soap and 5 bucks for scent killer. Last year I was salmon fishing and left my headlight in my tackle bag next to a bag of salmon eggs and forgot about it. When I went to get my stuff ready for deer season I found my headlight and it reeked so bad I thought it was ruined. It smelled horrible! I got my scent killer and sprayed the whole thing down really good and put in in a ziplock bag overnight. The next morning when I got up I checked the bag to see how it smelled. It didn't smell like anything! Scent killer made a believer out of me that day!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

I have to go out of my way to find clothing that isn't scent lock type. I don't buy the hype for any of that stuff. Even if it works, it is going to wear out pretty quick after a few washings. Plus it does nothing for scents on the outside of your clothes. How many times do you see them on the hunting shows wearing scentlok and then still trying to stay downwind of the deer? You also see them getting busted when a deer gets downwind from them and they use every scent product on the market.

I buy regular hunting clothing and use unscented deo and scent free wash. That is about the best you can do IMHO.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Spike

The scentlock clothing is definitely not necessary. I wear warm clothes, and I take a bath and wash my clothes before I go hunting. Before walking to my stand, I will spray down with cover scent or something fruity like C'mere Deer. With that being said, if a deer walks downwind of you, he will probably smell you.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

The deer hunting industry has become a lot like fishing. You can buy all kinds of stuff to fill your takle box, big or small. But in all reality you can probably be just as succesful with a cane pole and worms. If one is after mature bucks some of the sprays and stuff do help, and camo patterns have come a long way in breaking up the human form with Vertigo being the best IMO. The scent lok/blocker is very much over rated, again IMO. If all I wanted to do was harvest any deer I wouldn't buy any of it. But I choose to hunt and harvest mature bucks, and again I find that some of the stuff is very useful spending on how pressured the deer are. IMO you can't buy anything that will overcome poor woodsmanship. If you have good woodsmanship and always remember the basic's and build from there you will enjoy filled tags, whatever age class of deer your after.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

yep, this is way outa hand and just way's people are getting into your pockets.

I do like to be clean, but I gotta agrea you can't hind your scent from an animal that stay's alive by trusting it's nose.

you know what I like, all these cats on tv wearing 1k worth od scentlock endorsed products kill a 50 point 900'' buck dead down wind, they are 35ft up a freakin tree, there scent wont be down to a deers level for 1000 yards, I mean really You aint gotta be the head cashier down there to the WalMart to figure this on out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.