Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dilema or not?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default dilema or not?

I only have one stand on the property I hunt nobody else hunts there and its about 30 acres or so. I have been hunting that stand a lot I have a trail camera right there and There are deer pics on it everyday. I was told I need to get another stand hung ASAP so I am thinking about getting another climber and hanging it on another tree (I leave my climbers out and have never had one stolen.) I am wondering however whats my best tactic of hanging another stand? Time of day, the weather, or is 1 stand ok since I live in Ohio and the rut is getting very close? I am just nervous that I am going to spook deer. If I could get some input I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

my thinking is if you have a lot of does then the rut should be prime,
i wouldnt go through the trouble of hanging a new one. keep the pressure low until its time for the big boys to come out and play.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

You absolutely should put another stand in! the main thing you want to think about is the wind. Chances are your current stand is bad for multiples winds. Think about where your wind will be traveling. Is it going to the bedding area? Where you think the deer will come from? You shouldn't be hunting that stand if it is.

I would recommend putting another stand in that works for the winds your current stand doesn't. Since the rut is approaching, a stand roughly 100 yards in the woods, near but not on the bedding area would be a good choice. Look for scrapes and rubs.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Another stand can't hurt if you want to put one. Like mentioned above, set it for opposite wind directions and let the wind decide where you hunt. If you're into does then you just need to be in the woods right now. In North East Ohio the bucks are starting to chase. Time in the woods is golden for the next few weeks.
-Jake
Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have this dilemma

both with the spelling of the word (English is a brutal language) and the use of "lone site" hang ons, ladder stands, tripods and the various condo tower and box blinds.

I know I'm out voted by the current sales figures, but I still hold out with the moveable climbing tree stand. It may be just me. I never depended on one site. Never trusted the appearance of deer and one site.

Let us know how it turns out, after you decide. If one site stands prove successful for so many hunters, and the current tree stand sales prove it, I might have to change and admit my error.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You absolutely should put another stand in! the main thing you want to think about is the wind.
+1

Another consideration might be for time of day--place it so you can be in an optimum place to hunt in the morning and/or evening. Give some thought to how you might get to it without spooking the deer. You'll want to place it so you can be set up and waiting for the deer to come to you without them knowing you're there. That means knowing the deer movements, the landscape, general wind direction, etc. (especially when setting up a morning stand as you'll have to get to it in the dark with at most a flashlight).
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

My two cents.. Try to give yourself the quickest and quietest route to and from your standand ALWAYS pay special attention to the wind. Remember air currents tend to rise(uphill) in the morning and the opposite in the evening. You don't want to bump the deer before you even hunt. Set up well blended into the background and hold on Cuz' the rut is comin'! Keep the does comfortable, for they are your best decoy/attractant! Good luck!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Spike

Personally, I don't think you can ever have too many stands out. If you're going to leave it out there anyway, I'd just get a cheap ladder stand (there are several decent ones out there now for under $100.00) and set it up. They are easy enough to move if you need to and there is less commotion getting in and out of them when you're done.

You said there were always pictures on your trail camera but, are you seeing deer when you are there? We moved a couple of cameras and stands because there were a lot of good pictures of a couple of 150+ bucks but they were always at around 2:30-3:00 AM.
Now, we see them around 7:30-8:00 AM but, they are about 250 yds. onto a piece of land we don't have permission to hunt...yet. Not sure which is worse.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have about 30-40 stands,they are all made out of wood and they still have the bark on them.I hunt off logs and in brush piles or tall weeds even hunted on the side of a creek bed once 2moro im be hunting on a grass hill I am having a blast trying to fool these deer on the ground,this has been my most amazing year havent been winded yet and some days the wind is blowing right in there face I guess it must be the pine branches I cut off the tree in the back yard and stuck them in the washer with my hunting clothes heck they must think im a pine tree.