Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hi, new to the forum and hunting. >

Hi, new to the forum and hunting.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hi, new to the forum and hunting.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Spike

Default Hi, new to the forum and hunting.

So I am new to the forum, and also the world of hunting. I have the opportunity to go a lot this year, I will of course be going with people that are experienced. I as just hoping to learn a few things before I do so. I will be using a Mossburg 500. A few things I would like to know are:

1) What clothing is best used, I don't want to go out and just buy the first camo shirt and pants I see.

2) I am trying to find out if my state (South Carolina) allows Buckshots or Slugs, i've asked a few people at work and they say Buckshots are allowed, but slugs aren't. Then and maybe I read it wrong, but I saw on the DNR website Buckshots are prohibited. So I can't get a straight answer.

3) I am not a recoil junkie, so I would like to diminish it as much as possible, so I am thinking of purchasing a limbsaver.

Also any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

welcome,
for clothing i would keep it simple,
you dont need to go out and buy the latest pattern, hitech fabrics and such,
any pattern will do, including military surplus,
will depend on your budget and type of hunting you will be doing,

if you continue hunting, you will add to your clothing over time, dont need it all at once

it is great to go with experienced hunters, you can learn alot,
can learn in a short time from others what would take years to learn on your own,
but when it comes to regs, you should know the regs yourself,
never take someones word for it, it your license and hide on the line if they are wrong,
also many may not be aware of changes to regs,
many who hunt a long time, check the regs for season dates/limits, any major changes, and may not be aware of something else that changed,

more information you give on type of hunting,
including what game, deer/turkey/hogs,etc..
more info people can offer you
good luck and enjoy
Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Spike

If you are hunting with a shot gun and hate kick go for a 20ga it will go the same distance as a 12ga and have a lighter kick my choice for a 20ga gun would be a mossburg so if you are left or right handed you can opperate the saftey. It can shoot a slug and a spread, all you have to do is change the barrel

For clothing wear a ornange vest for saftey and have a sharp knife on you if you shoot one. bring a flashlight and mabe a glow stick, jacket, and string

Last edited by deer toe; 10-27-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

For clothing, I don't know what your regulations are. Are you required to wear blaze orange? If so, how much? I wouldn't go out and buy real expensive clothing to start out. Find something with a decent camo pattern, and use cover spray. Even more important than that is a good set of scent free rubber boots.

Skyrim ftw.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I lived in scfor acouple of years. Everybody i talked to said buckshot was legalbut im not sure.call the DNR and ask them. The limvsaver is a life saver with a heavy recoiling gun. As for camo ant will work. Get some thermal longjohns for late season there a lifesaver in cold weather.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Spike

Go buy a longsleeved shirt and pants. Any pattern will do. Stick with the necessities at first. I'm pretty sure Buckshots are legal. Just check with DNR to be sure. Other than that, buy a good pair of waterproof boots, some gloves, and have a sharp knife with you as well as an empty bottle (a pee bottle). There's nothing worse than sitting in a deer stand than having to pee and trying to sit in a treestand trying to keep still. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Spike

Thank you all. The reason I was asking about the camo is because I see all this scent blocker stuff, I never knew you had to block your scent until last week. The guy I was talking to was telling me about about controlling your scent, not sure how that works. In the tree stand I will be in it's more like a tree house, so I am not sure I will need the pants yet, the next time I will be in a normal tree stand.

Also which do you guys prefer slugs or 00 buckshots? I haven't shot either but I am for some reason leaning more toward Buckshots.

Last edited by Mr.Hadouken; 10-28-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

go with a slug. further range more knock down power and bigger hole
Old 10-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by pearsontx4
go with a slug. further range more knock down power and bigger hole
That and more accurate for a cleaner kill. There's a reason it's illegal in many states... buckshot has a tendency to maim instead of kill.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as controlling Your scent,probably the best way is to wash all Your Hunting Clothes in scent-free detergent then air/hang dry on a line outside or use the earth-scented dryer sheets then keep the clothes outside,when Your ready to put your clothes on to hunt...You need to shower with scent-free soap then gear up and probably spray down with scent-killer spray also...lots of things to do and consider just to go hunting.I usually also keep my Hunting Boots outside also and spray them down with scent-killer spray also...and as an extra measure I have been wearing rubber boots and I only use them while hunting and never wear them in town to put gas in my Truck...sometimes I walk trhu the downed persimmons to put and added scent cover on them.

Sure You can go out and buy the high-dollar Scent_Lok suits but You still need to wash with scent-free soap and spray down with some type of scent-killer spray to be more effective?I also wash my clothes in Dead Down-wind landry Detergent that has a UV-killer in it so my Hunting Clothes don't shine or stand out from the Factory UV-Brightners.

Another thing to practice is don't wear Your Hunting Clothes/Gear in the House while cooking or smoking....bog No No's in my book!You'd be surprised at how many more Deer You'll see by practicing good scent control.