Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rut Activity?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last couple of days have brought about a little change in my area as regards the pre rut situation. I have not been out myself but my Nephew has been out this morning and just gave me a report from his Buck heavy area here in Southern Indiana. The biggest 8 pointer he has ever seen with his own eyes was 10 yards away from taking a dirt nap when a house cat moving just out of sight must have spooked it enough to move him in the wrong direction. A nice six had just past through 30 minutes earlier half heartedly following a couple of does which he passed on. Last night he saw another nice tall framed 8 or 9 pointer chasing a Doe across hwy. 150 here in our area,the Doe got hit by a car in the opposite lane and he nearly nailed the Buck which had stoped in the road for a brief moment. So I think I can say it seems to be heating up a bit and will only get better as these cold temps push into our area.Good Hunting to all this weekend,I hope to get out in the morning after a long absense from the woods.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Almost hit a nice 8 pt this morning in central wisconsin that was chasing a doe across the road.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

big and little bucks scraping and rubbing. Seen a spike bumping a doe and lots or road kill.. It's time for them to get stupid
Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

have seen some small buck checking does and pushing them a little bit..and have had some luck with rattlin as well
Old 10-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chazspot
Things are slow here in central Maryland. Recent years past we usually see the seeking phase start to kick in by now, but nothing yet. I think some does will come into estrous any day now and all hell is going to break loose.
This describes my situation here in Pa TO A TEE! The last week of Oct is usually when things get going good, but not this season for whatever reason. Reminds me of last years rut. In my last 69 hours in the woods I've seen exactly 5 deer (one spike). Sounds like a lot of stand time, but my last 3 hunts were dark to dark hunts that account for half of that time.

The real sad part is with the cold and the SNOW we're getting, tomorrow could easily set these deer into a rutting mode, but being in Pa we can't hunt Sundays!!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Spike

i hunt maryland easternshore.there more rubs n scrapes showing up.but all the chasing n all that i have seen none.i hunt 2 3 time a week
Old 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of my Nephew arrowed a 5 year old today,he was not much in the antler dept for a 9 pointer but was large bodied. He shot him at around 8:30 trailing 2 does,this hunt was in Charlestown Indiana. I saw nothing yesterday in Lanesville Indiana but a flock of Turkeys and a Coyote doing his best to catch one of them. I had hopes he would come in close but he had my scent and that was that. Going out tomarrow evening where we have seen good Buck movement,will report back then.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Not seeing road kills yet, one of the greatest indicators imo.
Traditional scraping area got hit hard over the weekend.
Hung a stand on Friday, no scrapes, came back today to hang a camera, counted 11 scrapes along the field edge and across the dam.

Did have a 5 pointer respond to grunts and a snort wheeze, crab walking with ears laid back looking for a fight.
However he did not respond to a doe bleat, he heard but it didn't excite him like the buck calls.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing here yet in NY , Actual deer sighting are way, way , down so far .
Last season I hunted almost every day and seen deer 9 out of 10 times in the woods or fields on every outing .
This year out I,ve seen der probably once or twice in 5 to 7 days of hunting ?
I have a very nice feild that usaualy produces very many deer sighting , this year there are Beef cows out grazing whats left of the hay and not sure why but deer are just not comming out to the field and its at least 900 x 800 yards in size .
Not many rubs or scrapes normaly found untill around middle of November but not much sign around .
We had a couple big snow storms back to back last winter and there are some very big Coyotes roaming so could have played a toll on the deer population ?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Spike

Saw a huge buck chaising a doe this morning in front of my house at 9:00am in the middle of a bean field. He was big and thick, one of the biggest I have ever seen. Too bad I dont hunt at my house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.