Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
what gear do you pack for whitetail deer >

what gear do you pack for whitetail deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what gear do you pack for whitetail deer

Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

GPS, compass, topo map, knife, toilet paper, liscense, grunt call, scent wafers, hand warmers, wistle with waterproof matches, cotton balls dipped in parafin wax for firestarting and a hand held radio.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Yes, but what happens when you get stuck in the woods away from the truck?

Well, in over 40 years of hunting I've never had that happen...I guess some get lost in the woods and have to be concerned about this...

What you could do is build a lean to, from natural materials like the early longhunters did...
Old 10-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Cellphone, and a backpack that includes: grunt call, rattling bag, scent eliminator spray, binocs, range finder, extra clothes, safety harness, and if it is really cold a thermos with hot chocolate.

I've had some pretty good success rattling bucks in. Harvested 2 bucks that way.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Rifle, ammo, cell phone, walkie talkie with headphones.....that's just in my pockets...in my backpack I have; Ammo, knife, latex gloves, binoculars, survival kit( hatchet, lighter and waterproof matches, trail mix, 2 bottles of water and extra cotton balls, besides those in first aid kit and finally 2 rolls of toilet paper and my various calls and scents. It may seem heavy but my pack distributes it evenly among my back so there isn't as much stress....plus I'm in great shape. 6ft and 150.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Deer drag, at least 2 bottles of water in my pack, flashlight, glow sticks, toilet paper, orange vest, rain poncho, and some snacks. I bring other things, but leave most of them with my atv about 20 yards in the woods behind my stand. I try to bring everything I'd need to survive a few hours if something very bad happened and I was immobilized.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually have a hatchet, knife, leatherman and compass. A couple bottles of water, with snacks and a sandwich. Three shells in the gun and a few in the pack. TP, just in case, it also works well to start fires. lighter, deer drag. and a few things that I can't remember.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Bow season I carry a pack with lots of stuff. Gun season I carry. My rifle or shotgun, my ammo, A water bottle, a baggie of jerky (I always save some from the season prior), A knife on my Belt, a drag rope, and my cell phone. Many of my hunts are daylight till dark, the jerky keeps me going. Clothing is whatever is weather appropriate.
-Jake
Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Spike

I do a lot of walking (all spot and stalk, no tree stands as I live in the open of Nebraska). Other than my clothing and boots I carry my bow, rifle, or muzzle stuffer (depending on the season), Nikon Monarch binos, Leica rangefinder, Gerber Exchange a Blade Knife, a Camelpack backpack that I put it all in, and definitely toilet paper!!! I spent a little bit of money on the optics and the knife, but considering the distances that I look across and the number of critters that I gut and process each year it is worth it. The camelpack is needed considering the number of miles that I walk each day (I actually refill it several times a day at windmills) And the toilet paper is a must! Depending on how long I think I will be gone I through some jerky and crackers in the pack. Other than that I try to travel as lightly as possible. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, gotta carry the tags too and a little rope to drag the critters out with.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Spike

water, knife, bow, light, some calls, rope, and phone
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I take bow.2 flashlights,rubber gloves,knife,x-etra bow rope,water and sun flower seeds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.