Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
what gear do you pack for whitetail deer >

what gear do you pack for whitetail deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what gear do you pack for whitetail deer

Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Yes, but what happens when you get stuck in the woods away from the truck?
None of my stands are more than half a mile from where I park. I can't imagine taking a stove and a shelter with me for that. I certainly wouldn't take water purification tablets when I have a canteen on me and a cooler full of water and gatorade in the truck.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Spike

nice gear I just use a gun/bow with 5 rounds some calls, food and water and thats it oh and binoculars
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Interesting question. Like the others, I bring the usual suspects but lately have also been packing more emergency stuff in case I get stuck in the woods. I have fire starting material, basic first aid kit, extra para-cord, extra batteries, two sources of light (flashlight & headlamp), extra knife, water purification tables, Swiss volcano stove, etc. The main thing I am missing now is some sort of shelter. I have a cheap tarp that would work but it is heavy and bulky. I am looking for a tent material type tart for lighter weight and smaller pack size.
try cutting the tarp into a smaller section it will be lighter
Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

If I am in a stand close by (within 5 minutes) of my cabin, I pocket some extra shells, my favorite knife, candybar and water, grunt call and flash light. Allways in my coat pocket is are matches and a fire starter and compass. If I am wandering further, I have a small (4x6) grommeted tarp which works great to sled the deer on or a shelter, about 20 feet of parachute cord,water and a few candy bars and an apple, whistle, extra dry gloves, waxed cardboard firestarter and strike anywhere matches in a match safe, butane lighter. Another compass, scout type knife and sharpener rounds it out, although a spare hat, fleece vest and pocket warmers, my .22 revolver or .38 snub among other things may find their way in.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Daveboone
If I am in a stand close by (within 5 minutes) of my cabin, I pocket some extra shells, my favorite knife, candybar and water, grunt call and flash light. Allways in my coat pocket is are matches and a fire starter and compass. If I am wandering further, I have a small (4x6) grommeted tarp which works great to sled the deer on or a shelter, about 20 feet of parachute cord,water and a few candy bars and an apple, whistle, extra dry gloves, waxed cardboard firestarter and strike anywhere matches in a match safe, butane lighter. Another compass, scout type knife and sharpener rounds it out, although a spare hat, fleece vest and pocket warmers, my .22 revolver or .38 snub among other things may find their way in.
all that and 5 min from cabin

wow, I am way underprepared.

I carry a weapon and bullets/arrows, a grunt, a flashlight some moonshine a doobie or 2 for the emergencies.

my all day hunts I carry lunch and water as well
Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
all that and 5 min from cabin

wow, I am way underprepared.

I carry a weapon and bullets/arrows, a grunt, a flashlight some moonshine a doobie or 2 for the emergencies.

my all day hunts I carry lunch and water as well
sounds very interesting with all that liquer want to pack a huntin buddy and a pack of cards to lol
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Spike

Down south I do not carry anything except the gun or
Bow I plan on using. If I am in the UP Well things are diferent up there. Food a little water and a secondary weapon. At the least. I spent the night I the woods when I was 17
Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

of course my weapon of choice and the ammunition required, scent-away spray, paracord, hand snips, limbsaw, rangefinder/binos, and whatever my "goodluck charm" is for that year. thats typically anything unusual or cool i find while scouting the summer before.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker
None of my stands are more than half a mile from where I park. I can't imagine taking a stove and a shelter with me for that. I certainly wouldn't take water purification tablets when I have a canteen on me and a cooler full of water and gatorade in the truck.
The Swiss Army Volcano stove is small, lightweight and a water bottle fits inside it. So it all fits inside a water bottle pouch on the side of my pack. Since I would be carrying the water bottle anyway, the stove is almost unnoticeable. The water purification tablets are in an extremely tiny bottle that goes unnoticed as well.

I hunt further back in the woods at times and while never too far from the truck or road, it would be possible to get into a situation where I could be stuck out over night. It is like insurance, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bow with 4 arrows,release,range finder,binos,skinning knife,rubber cloves,drag strap. First aide kit very small,whistle and cell phone kept on my person 30 ft. or cord.Pee bottle,water,snickers bar or payday if hot. If cold hand warmers,an extra jacket and or jersey. I wear my safety harness in with me and pack it out. Reading glasses so I can text my buddies while hunting to see whats moving and so on. I keep repair parts in my bow case like sight fiber optics etc.in my truck. I hunt within a mile of my truck most of the time or less. I have a Army pack that holds all this just fine,if I have my tree climber I lighten it up as much as I can. I am able to hang my climber when hunting private land the night before so I only have my bow and pack to carry to my tree some of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.