Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
what gear do you pack for whitetail deer >

what gear do you pack for whitetail deer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what gear do you pack for whitetail deer

Old 05-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

in a fanny pack: knife, flashlight, drag rope, a butt out tool, a headlamp, a box of shells, a light emergency poncho.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 AM
Typical Buck

I go with Valentine. I have a full size pack for years with an inventory list. At the end of the day I resupply what I have used that day-skinning gloves,plastic bag for junk after gutting, drag rope, ammo, ect. I always have a lunch and thermos, some water, sometimes extra clothes. I found that the most important thing is to always have what you need in the pack in case you are in a hurry. Same with loading the truck to drive somewhere for 3 hours. How many guys do you know that got to camp and forgot their boots, ammo, license, and who knows what else? I think a cell is a good idea, but it won't work at most places I hunt.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Impossible to say for a newbie

With all the gear, electonic and otherwise, available from sporting goods sources, a hunter could have difficulty getting down to a 80 lb. back pack.
Of course not being a newbie I only need new batteries for a twenty year old watch and two flashlights. Of course with my experiences over the years, I use a small day pack. I can't get down to what I use to carry in my pockets.

Last edited by Valentine; 05-28-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

I did away with the pack many years ago and went back to basics. I have a hunting license, a hang on treestand with sticks, and a bow. Thats about it. Occasionally I bring a water and if I am hunting unfamilar ground or far north I bring a compass and topo.
Most of the stuff in the pack rarely gets used and once your hunting its in the way. If you have it up in the tree with you deer will see it sticking out of the side of the tree and if your messing with it they will see your movement. If you leave it on the ground, what good is it?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Knife-saw-water-coffe-range finder- and a sandwhich for all day. And a book
Old 10-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Spike

Typically hunt all day starting this time of year, so....bow, .22 pistol, backpack with a sandwich, 2 cookies, 2 bottles of water/ Gatorade, range finder, binocs, deer call, 2 scents, scent killer, bow cam, video cam, extra pair of gloves, face mask, Browning knife, and iPhone.