HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   FInally, my turn for my first buck and... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/352085-finally-my-turn-my-first-buck.html)

ghh3rd 10-23-2011 07:49 PM

FInally, my turn for my first buck and...

I’m a new hunter, started hunting near the end of the general gun season in 2009 at 56 yrs old, and have hunted all of 2010 and so far the archery and muzzle loader season this year. I have learned a lot from my friend, especially about how much work it takes to scout between seasons, setting up cameras, hiking miles through jungle and swamp (here in Florida) looking for new promising spots between hunts.

Since I started, I've carried a my .44 mag revolver, 45-70 Marlin, a bow, and muzzle loader and have never had a chance to take a shot at anything, until yesterday.

I was standing in my climber, scanning all around, turned straight ahead I was shocked to see a big buck slowly walking only 25-30 yards in front of me. I put the scope on him and was ready to take the shot, but I was moving too much, regrouped and tried again and had to aim a third time. I just couldn't get the crosshairs to settle down. I finally took the shot, and he lurched and took off crashing through the palmetto bushes. He seemed to be thrashing around about 50-75 yards away for a little bit and then quieted down. I had him I thought.

I was already thinking about how excited by 14 yr old son would be, how I would brag to my friend at work, and how I should pose for a picture. My hands were shaking all over as I tried to send a text message.

It turned out that the buck had kept going -- I had missed him! No hair, blood, nothing! I was positive that I had made a good shot. Thinking back, I know that I had pushed the trigger rather than my usual slow ‘squeeze until it goes off’. How could I have forgotten that detail? Perhaps I had pulled the gun down as I fired.

I'm told that I had experienced a case of buck fever, which I thought I would never get. I told my friends that I would be cool as a cucumber when the time finally came, and would get excited only after I had shot, but I had a terrible time holding the rifle steady, and went home empty handed yesterday. I'm glad that at least it was a clean miss. I noticed today on the board that “0” were taken yesterday, and wished that it was a “1”.

I have a nice spot set up for general gun in two weeks, near some active scrapes. I sure hope I get over this fever by then.

Sorry for the rambling, guess I'm still excited.

Randy

rlpsystems 10-24-2011 03:38 AM

sorry.......thats kinda what this whole thing is about......get excited.....stay excited...

pearsontx4 10-24-2011 03:41 AM

i love that feeling when your sitting there turn and see a buck. and your not sure witch one your going to die of first a heart attack or not being able to breath.

DawnPatrol 10-24-2011 03:59 AM

its all a learning process..........just keep after em'...........always learning!

Patrick Eubanks 10-24-2011 04:03 AM

missed it

I say congratulations on the encounter. That feeling will push you harder now. Give it a day or two and get right back in the same stand. He will show up again.

ghh3rd 10-24-2011 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone - it was definitely a new experience that I'm glad I had.

07superglide 10-24-2011 04:34 PM

I know that if I ever have an encounter and DONT feel like that(hit or miss) Im out!!!
guess i would have to take up base jumping or something???

MZS 10-24-2011 05:25 PM

It is always a bummer when you think you got it, but didn't. Been there. Figure out went wrong and correct it for next time.

Patrick Eubanks 10-24-2011 06:04 PM

and

next time, from 25 yards, pull up and shoot him. Dont try and get the crosshairs perfect. Hit him in the bread basket. If its off an inch or two who cares.

JeffHoskins 10-25-2011 07:33 AM

Sounds like your on a lease with others? Something about a board? Dont tell the others where you were!!! Its probably too late. Get there first every day and take that spot!