Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need warm gloves

Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Spike

Default Need warm gloves

Any suggestions on a great pair of gloves for use in extreme cold. I just can't trust cabelas customer reviews. I need people that are actually in the North, in the end of December when it is a negative wind chill, to say there gloves. And if you have any other items like facemask or socks and boots that work well might as well tell them to.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no such thing as a pair of warm gloves. I usually wear a pair of plain wool gloves and put them inside a loose of large overmitts. Or you can keep your hands in a muff around your waist. That as the advantage of putting a hand warmer inside to keep them toasty. A pair of wool gloves will keep your hands warm enough when you need to pull them out. The single warmest thing I can wear on my hands is a heavy pair of wool glo-mitts. It's a pair of partial wool gloves that has a mitten that covers my fingers that can be pulled back to allow the use of my fingers.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I don't wear gloves at all, I keep my hands in my pockets or a hand muff with those hand warmers. the best thing I can suggest for your feet is wool socks with Sorel intrepid explorer or glacier boots.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:00 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Virginia doesn't get as cold as whee you are, but I have been out there when the temps were in the teens. Can't remember he brand, but my wife bought me some gloves that were built with a mitten cover over thin lycra fingers. So the mitten folds back when you want it to. That mitten cover has a sipper on the back so you can put a hand warmer in it. They are awesome. The muff is what my hunting buddy swears by.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Virginia doesn't get as cold as whee you are, but I have been out there when the temps were in the teens. Can't remember he brand, but my wife bought me some gloves that were built with a mitten cover over thin lycra fingers. So the mitten folds back when you want it to. That mitten cover has a sipper on the back so you can put a hand warmer in it. They are awesome. The muff is what my hunting buddy swears by.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

When it gets really cold (like zero or below!) I will take 4-6 hand warmers with me (the shake type). Two for my gloves and a few more around my body and maybe 2 toe warmers in my boots. Coldest I hunted was about -8F, but I was not out too long. Staying completely still for more than 2 hours in zero or colder is a challenging proposition! Now I have a fully enclosed box stand so I think I could manage a bit better in that when it really gets cold.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Spike

midweighted gloves are the best for this time of year and all depends on where you are.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely, positively go with a muff:

Keep one or two of the LARGE warming pads inside:

Wear only thin, polypropylene gloves on your hands. They are all you need since the muff and hand warmers will keep your hands PLENTY warm. When time to shoot, you simply remove your hands from the muff and you are ready to go because the polypro gloves are thin enough for you not to have to remove them in order to take the shot.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Absolutely, positively go with a muff:

Keep one or two of the LARGE warming pads inside:

Wear only thin, polypropylene gloves on your hands. They are all you need since the muff and hand warmers will keep your hands PLENTY warm. When time to shoot, you simply remove your hands from the muff and you are ready to go because the polypro gloves are thin enough for you not to have to remove them in order to take the shot.

This would be my advice as well. I don't live up north, but my hands are bad about getting cold. They even get cold in the summer sometimes. When it gets cold outside, I always wear my hand muff. Before it gets really cold (above 25-30 degrees), I will wear a pair of fingerless gloves with the mitten that closes down over the fingers. I have a pair of Manzella brand gloves like this that I use during archery season that is made to be used with a wrist-strap release and an Under Armour pair that I wear when gun hunting. These UA gloves are the best UA product I have ever used for hunting, by far! Their stuff is good stuff, and works, but works best when you are active and moving around. Sitting for a few hours on stand without moving doesn't allow it to do what it does best. These gloves, however, have worked very well for me. Both of these pairs have pockets to put hand warmers in. Has worked for me. The hand muff, though, is by far the best thing for keeping your hands warm when it is really cold out, in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Spike

arctic shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!