Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mid-Day Hunts

Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mid-Day Hunts

I have read a lot about hunters seeing and taking deer between 10 and 3 on here. I have not tried this but would like to. I traditionally go in before light and hunt til about 9-10 and catch deer coming out of the fields. Then get back in around 3 against a ridge line below the bedding areas. Even so I don't start seeing deer until about the last 30 minutes of light. That seems to be the pattern of the deer in the area. There ARE some areas that I know of where it is possible deer settle in for a few hours but get up and perhaps browse before heading back out to the fields.

Could some of you share techniques and/or description of areas that are most productive for mid-day?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either stay on your stand all day, or stillhunt/move between 2 or more stands, just stay out all day.

Be sure to be on stand during the times most guys are leaving the woods (around 10 AM) and coming back into the woods (3 PM or so).

I have shot several opening day bucks between 11:30 and Noon.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

I generally do not hunt during mid-day unless the rut is rocking. I have the best luck during the middle of the day sitting in funnels in between doe bedding areas. Try to stay in cover where mature deer will feel more comfortable moving during mid-day.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Spike

Yes! Stay all day. Take your lunch! Don't move at all. Be patient!!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Spike

Hunt all day, we usually get in stands before light and stay until after shooting light. Since we hunt gamelands we pack clothes and food to stay all day. Last two deer we took were at 12:20 and 1:30.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

My best two bucks came checking and bumping does from beds from 12:30 to 1:30. I believe the time between pre-rut and the rut the bucks are checking doe bedding areas during mid day.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

the biggest buck I have ever seen came in at 11:30 am....unfortunately it was 1 day before rifle season and he did not come any closer than 65 yards from me so a bow kill was impossible.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Lot of different answers here, mostly because of the season hunted in. If you are talking rifle season, I have hunted the middle of the day for years. I stay awake early the first couple days of the season, but after it is open three or four days, I have had it work out quite well for me. The second week is the best for hunting between 11:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M. I hunt a mountain that has very limited access points and it is easy to see when you are almost alone up there. I have had real good luck (especially with bucks) moving on there own between 11:00 and 12:00.