Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Reaction to Vehicle in Fields?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Spike

I came back from my climber after several hours only to see an entire herd lounging around my Jeep.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alot of it has to do with perceived threat.

Are they gonna run off outta sight when you come driving in or driving by? I would fully expect them to. But they r probobly just getting outta the immediate area. And many times deer circle back out of curiousity. The hunter may not see them but the deer could be somewhere checking out what they were riled up by. Alot more deer see hunters than hunters see deer - that's a fact.

Quick story. We had a 3 day gun season and we hunted Friday and Saturday but only the morning of 3rd day. It was getting kinda warm and we had just basically said let's break camp.

Well a few of us stuck around and did some stand maintenance, trimming and firewood gathering for the next outing. Ran all over the property with some ATVs hootin, hollering and even drag racing the quads in a bean field.

A few hours later 3 of us decided to hunt the late afternoon and evening and we shot a bunch of deer all right around and in the bean field we had been racing in.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I shot my first archery buck last year in a stand that I wasn't real familiar with (on my hunt club you can hunt in other people's stands as long as they aren't there). I accidentally parked my truck about 120 yards from the stand in plain view. I walked in in the dark in the morning, and when it got light I realized I could see my truck. I then saw a big buck following two does, and none of them seemed to be bothered by the truck. They crossed the powerline about 50 yards south of the truck. An hour later another buck came from the opposite direction, apparently having crossed the power line in the opposite direction and also wasn't bothered by the truck; he ended up in my freezer.