HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Call Questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/351646-deer-call-questions.html)

SouthRising 10-16-2011 06:34 PM

Deer Call Questions

iv had mixed results with deer calls and was wondering what calls yall have found to be effective and when is the best time to use them.

Whackadeer 10-16-2011 07:49 PM

I've used grunt tubes, the can, even electronic calls, had zero luck. The only thing I ever called in was a coyote while using a fawn bleat. That was only one time.

Night Crawler 10-17-2011 03:13 AM

I have had good results, I use a grunt tube and bleat can. None of them do anygood if there are no deer in the listening area. It's not going to bring a 150'' buck out to you from down the road, the sound is soft and does not carry far. Even the loudest I can blow on a grunt while still sounding like a deer is about 150yds on a calm calm day. Next like duck or turkey calling, if you don't know how to sound exactly like the game your calling you do more harm than good. example, you not going to call in a turkey by just scratching the stick on the slate, you have to know what language you are talking.

trader74 10-17-2011 12:02 PM

I have had good results with the bleat can. I also use the flextone grunt call with the snort wheeze thing. I really got good results with that. But the deer have to be in the right mood, some will blow it off like they never herd it but my buck i shot last year was really mad about that snort wheeze deal.

*twodogs* 10-17-2011 12:08 PM

The snort/wheeze during the rut works well especially if there is a dominant buck in the area. Drew two deer from the hardwoods using a snort/wheeze when I spotted a monster in the field running with a hot doe, the larger of the two deer took on the monster and I wish I had my video camera that day, something I will never forget. When the loser left he walked right by my stand as he entered the hardwood.....he got an arrow in the boiler room!

Never had any success with doe bleat.

Murdy 10-17-2011 07:02 PM

Only thing I have ever accomplished was giving a little snort to get a deer to stop for a shot.

StealthHtr22 10-18-2011 12:57 PM

I love my True Talker. I've had really good luck with it, but what's more important than the product is timing. What the deer want, is what they want...there isn't one fool proof call/style. Many times, you'll still get ignored even though you think it's perfect timing. I look at it like a batting average, and if I can bat over .300 I feel like I'm doing something right.

The shorter grunts seem to be the ticket. I use these more often. If they don't respond, try mixing it up and use a long drawn out grunt, snort wheeze, or if you have the True Talker, try mixing up the pitch of the grunt.