Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Management Area Etiquette

Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Spike

Question Management Area Etiquette

I lost my lease of 10 years due to some damns tomfoolery, and this year I am putting all my eggs in one basket by exlusively hunting management areas. This is in AL and will most likely all be done at the Lauderdale WMA.

I'm just looking for some basic guidance here. If I see a vehicle parked at a food plot gate, is this a no no to continue in also. Does parking in front of the food plot gate give you dibs on that plot. I know these are stupid questions, but going in blind would be even worse. I know it's first come first serve, and I really dont want to rock the boat too much.

Also, it seems as though over half of the food plots on my wma map havn't even been touched. Are they going to continue development into the season, or is this it. I'm happy the way it is now, but I'm still not sure what to expect. Are these untouched food plots going to be eventually broken down with the dozer and plowedsometime in the middle of season.

Sorry for the long post guys, but I am just trying to establish some expectations for my season. Thanks

Last edited by GunForHire; 10-16-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

It seems like it would be rude to park in front of a food plot as a means of calling dibs on public land. I'm not sure if you were asking because you thought it was likely someone else would do that, or because you were contemplating doing it. Public land is public. Expecting to get dozens of acres to yourself on a saturday in a WMA is unrealistic, based on my experience.

If someone else has attempted to call dibs on an enormous area, I would not think you would be out of line to go in as long as you set up a fair distance away from them.

I'm no farmer or food plot expert, but I wouldn't think that people would be discing and planting in the middle of October. What you see now is probably all there will be.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need to check with the managers of the WMA to find out about the food plots. It is getting late to plant, but not too late. You sort of answered your question when you said you understood it was first come-first serve on food plots. Just get up earlier. I last hunted a WMA around 1975 when I went to the Barbour Co. Management area. The place was thick with hunters, couldn't find a place I could not see three or so others close by. Not for me.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Spike

I exclusively hunt public. If I see a truck parked I tend to go to a different location out of curtesy and my own safety. This is rare though because I tend to beat the crowd by getting parked and on my way about an hour before first light. I usually avoid weekends too. I do leave a note on my window saying "Hunting SE corner of CRP field along river" or something the like. Hopefully someone would take the hint to stay the F away.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

every situation is different
just because there is a car there i wouldnt walk away,
but i would take into consideration there maybe someone hunting there,
i would stick to any path, and glass far ahead looking for hunters,
person may or may not be hunting that field,
could be hunting trails leading to/from the plot,
could be a bird hunter walking and flushing,
could be a small game hunter,

where i hunt there are miles of trails in WMU's,
i would stick to the trail and not get off the trail till i reach an area i plan on hunting, if i see a hunter working i spot i was planning on,
either would back out heading to alternate spot i have in mind,
or if alternate spot is beyond the field/plot i would proceed quickly and quietly,

if someone decides to set up 100 yds from the car, or along a public trail, cant expect everyone to turn back and not use the miles of trails or acres and acres of land beyond that plot.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Most of the WMA's around here have larger parking lots so it's nothing to see half dozen or more cars there. Some of them the trails lead several dirctions and some are just one main trail that leads in. You go in and find your spot and set up. I've had people stomp all over my hunt. It's public land. I try to stay off other' people's hunts but sometimes you find your self doing the same thing that happened to you.
I try to go deep and anticipate where everyone else will likely be....and set up where they will chase the deer. Also, consider hunting the edges of the WMA. sometime all the activity in the wma can push the deer toward the less pressured areas.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

I dunno, things are different in different states. I hunt nothing but public land in any state and rarely run into idiots. Most guys have been moving and bumped into other hunters, it happens. Most don't care because you could be moving deer too. I usually wave if I see a guy out a ways so he knows I see him. If they are close I usually stop to talk and most hunters are O.K. with that. The idiots that burn me sit at choke points you need to get through a small area between a creek and cliff or a gap in rocks that leads back to thousands of acres. I walk right through and don't care if I am right under their tree stand. What really makes my day is dragging one out past them later.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MBaboon
I do leave a note on my window saying "Hunting SE corner of CRP field along river" or something the like. Hopefully someone would take the hint to stay the F away.
This.

This is a small way to help keep things running as smooth as possible..... unless some fellow hunters can't read. And we all know that is a possibility.