Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Pick One
American Made, slightly higher quality, $65
56.00%
Chinese Made, decent quality-not junk, $15
44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Hunting Clothing?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Spike

The sad truth of the matter is that, for a lot of stuff, "American Made" doesn't mean better quality anymore. Don't take this the wrong way but, because everybody seems to want the cheap s#*t, many American manufacturers are more concerned with price than with quality.

It's also a fact that the price differences aren't that drastic anymore. A classic example of this is the clothing section (especially leather goods) of any Harley Davidson shop (and what company out there has used the Made in America image more). Mostly excellent quality and all made in China or Whogivesadamnistan. The reason I don't own any Harley leathers though (even though I have two Harleys) is that the prices are just as high as, if not higher than, these same products were when they were made in the U.S. I, actually, got American Made leathers for less money.

I buy American Made products whenever they are available and, if they aren't available in my area, I find out why and order from the manufacturer, if possible. And, I tote the to and from the woods in my 1979 GMC K1500 truck.

The problem is that every year there are fewer and fewer American Made options available. This trend will, probably, continue unless a lot of people open there eyes and realize that it isn't just about the price, iot's about the pride.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

I will buy American made when I can, but at three times the price or more I can't justify it right now. We can be competitive in the market place but not against next to slave labor.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Spike

Did anyone else notice that the prices ($65.00 and $15.00) , in this post, were just thrown out there and not really comparing two items?

It also states "an under armour type shirt". Under Armour is a pretty high end product and you won't get much of their product for $15.00. The majority of their product line is made in Asia, Central and South America and, Mexico (according to their corp. web site).
Old 10-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

1. Even if the prices were equal, I would lean toward non-American made products. With a few exceptions, buying American made products these days generally means supporting a corrupt labor union that donates big money to keep crooks like Obama in office.

2. As has already been pointed out, American made no longer means higher quality. Case in point, Ford and GM cannot match Honda and Toyota for quality, reliability, or longevity.

3. "American" brands are not so American these days. GM, Harley, and Ford all use lots of foreign-made components. Also, plenty of Hondas, Toyotas, and even BMWs are assembled in America.

In summation, the "American Made" label is not at all what it used to be. These days it has basically digressed into a cheap and inaccurate marketing ploy attempting to dupe you into buying an inferior product for an inflated price.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

The last guy had it right. You can not buy quality products if you want to, priced high or not. Last year I went through that trying to buy new blaze orange hunting pants. I was ready to settle for solid orange and still could not find anything. Don't even start with the "try Cabelas" or "try Bass pro" nonsense. All they sell is junk. They are nothing more than the WalMart of the outdoor world. Even Woolrich has gone to selling junk. The coats I looked at had pockets so thin that I would be afraid to put a box of ammo in it for a day. I finally found left over Browning Bib overalls. Not a fan of bibs, but these are made right, double steel zippers on the legs, a steel zipper on the front. Very close to good pants. The reason you can't buy anything good is because cheapskates like people on this forum allow them to sell junk. The last out-fit I had lasted over 20 years with a little repair here and there. Believe me, they were a hard 20 years. How can you compare that to a piece of crap that will let you down the first or second year you are in the field? There is nothing like being in another state during 10 degree weather and having a plastic zipper in the leg let go. That is my opinion of buying junk for less.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
1. Even if the prices were equal, I would lean toward non-American made products.

That speaks volumes on your character.
I wasn't even born here (born in italy), and became a citizen in 97
I would buy amerixcan over an import regardlless of who's in charge,
Inclnext car will be US made by US company,
Today was browsing for hunting supplies, such as arrows.
Spent $0 , rather wait and go without, till I find US made items I'm looking for.

As for vehicles assembled in US toyota and GM both produce about 8 mil cars a year,
Toyota assembles 1-2 mil a year in the US, gm assembles 6 mil in US a year,
So for every 10% increase in toyota sales that's 100K-200K us made cars,
For every 10% increase in GM sales that's 600'K additional us made cars by a US company.
Plus I rather take the bus or walk then send my +$20k overseas
Old 10-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

My point is just that you know under armor, doesn't cost $65 a shirt to produce, or even $30...

it's probably made/purchased from china at $1 or 2 a shirt, then sold here for $65.

I'd like to see a $2 shirt sold for $15-20, not $65. It's polyester and dye, am I missing something? shipping?

same with name brand jeans, for $165-400, are you serious? they certainly are nicer than $40 jeans, but not that much nicer, and maybe they're made in america or Europe but still.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Would you rather pay for higher quality American made clothing? ie hunting camo. for $65 for the same/very similar quality shirts let's assume in this case.

Or pay for discount chinese made clothing of still good quality? Let's assume comparable shirts at $15

How much more are you willing to pay for essentially the same thing but made in America?

Let's assume long sleeve tshirt, under armor type shirt...
Well, it's not like I'd make the trip to China to buy the stuff so I'm buying American no matter what I buy. I have nothing against someone who lives on the other side of a man made border.

I was once in a store of stores from around the world, Jungle Jims. As I walked through the store with my family another man of Indian origin walked through the store with his. When our eyes met I got the feeling I was looking into a mirror. We both nodded to each other as if to say "I know you", we did.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Terasec
That speaks volumes on your character.
I wasn't even born here (born in italy), and became a citizen in 97
I would buy amerixcan over an import regardlless of who's in charge,
Inclnext car will be US made by US company,
Today was browsing for hunting supplies, such as arrows.
Spent $0 , rather wait and go without, till I find US made items I'm looking for.

As for vehicles assembled in US toyota and GM both produce about 8 mil cars a year,
Toyota assembles 1-2 mil a year in the US, gm assembles 6 mil in US a year,
So for every 10% increase in toyota sales that's 100K-200K us made cars,
For every 10% increase in GM sales that's 600'K additional us made cars by a US company.
Plus I rather take the bus or walk then send my +$20k overseas
You did bring that attitude from where you came from and you left because you didn't like it there. America was once a melting pot, made us stong. Don't hate your neighbor just because he comes from across a man made border. Were all in this together.