Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows? >

What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Old 08-12-2003, 09:35 PM

Default What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Rocky Mountain Outdoor Adventures is looking for television show idea' s, if you have some idea' s besides the typical Billy Bob private games hunts, and or fishing on private lakes, I would like to hear what you have to say!

No idea is to small, examples, handgun hunting for big game, how to find a game trail, Has there been a show, and you have thought, why don' t they show this, or do that?

This show will appear nationally next year and we are putting show segments together for the 3 and 4 quarter, so if you have hunting, fishing, camping, ATV idea' s, or even break it down even more..reloading, bow hunting tech, any idea, will be looked at by our production staff, e-mail those idea' s to:

[email protected]
Old 08-13-2003, 06:12 PM

Default RE: What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Good topic!

It would be nice to see some traditinal hunting on film from start to finsh, You would have to edit it but like a real adventure in real time.

The cabin, the breakfast, the warming up of the four wheelers truck or buggies, the trip to the location, climbing the stand, takin aim.... hearing the breaths of the hunter the shot the kill, and field dressing. Camp fire talk etc.

Also, practical issues like how to use different products, stratagies, target shooting/sighting ins'

How to build stands, blinds ect. more interesting an involved issues. Tateful but no all corporate filled with ton of product in which the show is built around. but opposite.

Get the viewer attention and loyatlty and the a slective amount of sponsors. they will pay top advertising dallor to sponsor this show.

Hey I will be your creative director, hunter, manager give me call I will help put a awesome hunting net work show together!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 PM

I like jred' s idea. Most hunting shows make it seem like all you have to do is go out, sit in a tree for 10 minutes or so, and shoot that nice record book buck that never fails to appear. I always find myself thinking how new hunters may think that it is very easy to bag a deer after watching these shows, which could lead to dissapointment when they don' t see 30 deer on their first outing.

One aspect I would love to see documented is the dying art of tracking deer. In the Northeast where I hunt, it is a method that has been used by many of our ancestors, but has almost been lost as new generations of hunters rely on treestands and deer calling. I use a bit of the old and the new techniques, but I wish there were more articles and shows that focus on the art of deer tracking. I realize the main reason for this is a lack of hunters still employing these traditional techniques. I think it would be refreshing to see a show dedicated to the old-time hunting methods.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:36 PM

I like this Topic and everybody' s ideas have been great. Me and my buddy talk all the time about how you never see real hunting or fishing on TV. some guy in a tree house 50 yds from a feeder waiting for a 10 pointer to walk by isn' t like any hunt i' ve gone on.

I' d like to see hunting from different locations too. I am from the northeat and wouldn' t mind seeing a show on the topic of Opening Day in Pennsylvania, from start to finish for example. Maybe they get a buck, maybe they don' t. maybe they' re on public land and when the suns comes up you notice a guy 100 yds away thinking he had the best spot in the woods. these things are real and if reality TV is a hit then shows like that will be a hit. and show the Before setting up and the After field dressing and the celebration, if any. Mention Hunters for the Hungry and things that. Show that hunters are the regular fun loving guys that we are and sometimes we get a deer and sometimes we just sit in the woods from sun up til sundown

Some small game and predator hunting would be cool too, i know there is a forum for that but just an idea.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Youth hunts!

Today' s youth are tomorrows leaders (outdoorsmen (women/persons/people), hunters, conservationists, environmentalists, etc....).

Outdoor (hunting) programs might do one smaller segment on youth in an entire season. I personally feel more focus should be on them and our efforts to open up any horizons that they may want to explore.

YOUTH.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 08-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

[8D]
ONE THING I NEVER SEE IN HUNTING MOVIES IS THE HUNTER CHECKING THE DEER IF IT IS DEAD THEY JUST WALK RIGHT UP TO IT. I ALSO NEVER SEE IS HUNTING FOR DEER IN NOTH, OR SOUTH DAKOTA, OR MINNESOTA. USE A FLINT LOCK MUZZEL LOADER WITH ROUNDBALL, A SHOTGUN WITH A SMOOTH BARRLE WITH A RIFLED SLUG, AND A LEVER ACTION RIFLE IN 30-30. THESE ARE THINGS THE AVERAGE BLUE COLLAR HUNTER USES WE ALL DON' T HAVE TONS OF MONEY TO BUY FANCY CAMO, GAME FINDERS, HIGH PRICED GUNS,ECT.
PAT
P.S. I AM NOT SHOUTING I FORGOT ABOUT MY CAPS LOCK JUST NOW AND I AM TO LAZY TO RETYPE[8D]
P.S.S ANOTHER THING I' LD LIKE TO SEE IS MORE DOES TAKEN, AND FOR SAFETY SAKE WEAR BLAZE ORANGE IF YOU ARE USING A FIREARM.
P.S.S.S ANOTHER THING I FORGOT TO MENTION IS I SEE ALOT OF THE HUNTERS ON THESE SHOW TAKE ONE SHOT EVEN IS THEY MISS THEY DON' T SHOOT AGAIN IF YOU SHOOT AT A DEER AND HE' S RUNS SHOOT AGIAN.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:35 AM

i agree it would be cool to watch hunts with flintlock, shotgun, and lever action rifles as would be some hunts with a handgun.

aside from the normal hunting show format what i think would be the coolest hunting show is a documentary of an entire hunt ...an ongoing story like that pioneer house show, real-world on mtv or something. show the whole experience from start to finish.

face it you' re not going to get all the background information and strategy from a hunting show where the hunter:

1. is all decked out in camo sitting in a tree house with little shooting windows
2. is taking full instructions from a guide on what to use for a rest, where to stand to get the best shot, to re-load after their first shot, etc. (you figure the hunter being on tv would know something ...makes you wonder if before the hunt the guide made sure they were using the right caliber bullets in their rifles)
3. is letting the guide carry their rifle (saw 2 different shows on OLN this morning where the hunter downed a elk and the guide carried their rifles for them to the downed animal)
4. takes a full minute to find the animal in their scope
Old 08-16-2003, 11:05 AM

I lost interest in most of the ESPN and the outdoor channel shows due the type of hunting they do. Excuse me did I say hunting ha! Shooting is more like it. They have all these game farms and outfitter lands to hunt who couldn' t kill a trophy buck under those circumstances. Let them come and hunt in the National Forrest in Virginia with out a guide and lets see how good they are. I agree with the rest, lets show some real hunts from start to finish like real TV using real hunters off of hunting Net or etc. If you do that I believe you will have a hit on your hands. I think most hunters are tired of watching wealthy bussinessmen(Bill Jordan) and sports heros etc hunt on special leases with outfitters. I don' t mind the sponsers you do have to make a profit. But the sponsors instead of selling outright should show how too techniques with their product, For example how to climb with a climber, tree stand placment, sighting in tips etc. The bottom line I think your average and above average hunters are tired of the same old hunting shows TROPHY BUCKS V ! Give me a break. They want to see the average Joe go out into the woods and have a real hunt shooting average deer, Buck or Doe. Start the show with them getting up in the morning to coming home at night. Who knows maybe one of those hunters will really kill a trophy deer on his own, wouldn' t that be something to see.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting topic and many interesting posts on the subject.

I see where most of us say that we want " real hunters, hunting in real woods, like we do" ie: not going to a high fenced ranch and killing a 150 class buck in 10 mins of video.

I can agree but when we think about this in a logical fashion, a show of me or you hunting would be boring. I go out and might not see a deer for 2 hunts. Then I might see a couple does and a yearlying 6pt comes by for 30 secs. I see plenty of birds and squirrels and after about 4 hrs, I' m bored to tears and I can sit no longer. Now lets be honest, do you really want to sit down and watch a show like that?? Heck I don' t. I want to see someone who' s having more luck than me. These hunting shows are expensive and the longer it takes to film one show the more it costs. Also remember that the vast majority of these hunting shows are not getting rich. Sure some are making money but most aren' t. There is alot of talk of seeing the " common man" more on these shows, I agree until I flip on the Outdoor Channel. There I see Bubba talking to the camera and all I can think of is, that he must be the same person they interviewed when the tornado came thru the trailer park. Then there is the other extreme with the very very professional shows like the Real Tree shows. If I am forced to make a decision, I choose Real Tree over Bubba any day. If I wanted to see myself, I' d have my buddy follow me on my hunts with a camera.lol

I will also be the first to admit I get tired of the same old fake crap like everyone else. The fake emotions, the fake trailing the deer, the high fenced hunting (when it is like a zoo, not neccessarily talking about all high fences) Speaking of high fences, let me go a step further. I guess they wouldn' t bother me as much if the show admited they were hunting under a high fence. But instead they lead the viewer to believe that they are out in the wild when in all honesty they aren' t. They are in a controlled hunting environment.

After saying all that, I too, am and fed up with hunting shows. I rarely ever turn on the Outdoor Channel anymore. I can' t tell you exactly why either?

Quick Reply: What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.