Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are these good spots????

Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Are these good spots????

I am Hunting a new farm this year about 86 acres. I have attached a pic from google earth of my hunting grounds. Red lines is the common wind direction, Blue is water, and black circles are what I think are funnells they are small sections of woods that connect to the big woods. Make sure you guys correct me if I am wrong would my best bet be to setup where those black circles are at? Thank You
Attached Thumbnails Are these good spots????-232323232-7ffp432-8-nu-3244-37-9-7-wsnrcg-3487-584326nu0mrj.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to say with out having scouted. If that water is a creek that the deer can easily wade across, I'd look hard for a well used creek crossing up in the NW area near where you have circled. If the green are up in the NW corner is a winter food crop such as wheat or alfalfa, or harvested agriculture such as corn or soy beans, I'd sure as heck look for trails into and out of that corner. Also, the area where the 3 "toes" of woods to the south come together intrigues me. Cannot tell how wide they are. If there is good travel sign in there, especially around the junction, it would be relatively easy to slip into there with a NW wind. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

When should I start scouting now? I am just worried about getting out there and messing everything up I am thinking about putting a trail camera at each one of those areas.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Those seem like good places to start. I would set up trail cameras around the edges to see whats in the area. I would also set up several "observation" stands. Stands in areas where entry and exit routs cause little disturbance and you can see a long ways. You may not have deer right on top of you but you will see deer and how they use the area without spooking them early. This will allow you to sneak in and set up and hunt stands later closer to the rut based off your observations.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Where that water dips way down. There is a funnel there created by the water and the field. Any deer traveling the woods east to west or likewise will be forced into that funnel somewhere. You have good ones too but I would definitely check that area out.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not but one way to find out.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Went scouting today and this is what I found. The circle in the NW had 0 trails or anything of that nature. The circle to the south is very very heavy with small trails looks like they might be bedding in there. I have been hunting just to the west of where the water dips down and I have been seeing does I checked my camera I have there today and I saw this guy. Either I would take him if I see him when the rut comes in or maybe he will draw in a more mature buck. I am thinking I am going to stick to that spot lol.
Attached Thumbnails Are these good spots????-pict0016.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Spike

u can see the perfect pinch spot in the big timber and its not in neither one of you circles where the crick river whatever forms a "u" there is the spot
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Spike

chadeds has the same idea i wouldnt bother with the other spots