Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer and foxes

Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default deer and foxes

Do they get along? I was wondering because everytime I have seen a fox while deer hunting I never see deer. Are the deer scared of them? I have seen trail cam pics of them together but it is odd that when i see a fox even if it is early, i usually count seeing deer out of the question.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that the deer worry about fox. I regularly see fox when I hunt. I've seen them together, I've seen them in the same areas at the same time. They seem to ignore each other. At least in my experience. I enjoy seeing fox. They are fun to watch when they stay around long enough.
-Jake
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Spike

I killed a big eight point last year with my bow, had a red fox under my stand no more than 10 yards from the buck when I shot the buck. The deer never looked at the fox. We had an inch of fresh snow that day so I left the buck for two hours before I picked up the track. The deer only went 80 yards and droped. When we snuck up on him that same red fox was working on eating his hind quarter. I was suprised at how much that little fart could eat in the two hours I was gone.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Reel,

What did you end up doing with the deer?? I had the same thing happen on an 8 point I shot, the coyotes had torn up his rear end. I ended up not using the meat, I just wasn't sure it was safe.
-Jake
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Spike

I've had several foxes mess up my hunt by chasing the deer. I don't think deer like dogs. Had a coyote in the area last season, didn't see a deer until the coyote was shot and removed from the area.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Spike

Deer dont seem to mind them here, I use fox pee often as a cover scent.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Spike

Two years ago I was watching a small fox hunting around in some timber piles, about 5 minutes of watching I turn around and a young buck comes walking up looking around in the area of the fox trying to figure out what the commotion was. Well that buck walked right up to the fox and bent down and they were nose to nose. Then the buck would jump back with his front legs down and back end up in the air, the fox would jump at him and he'd jump back. Then the buck would jump at him and wave one of his front legs around like he was going to paw him. They were playing together, something I never expected to see. After a few minutes the buck started walking off and the fox was right behind him.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Reel,

What did you end up doing with the deer?? I had the same thing happen on an 8 point I shot, the coyotes had torn up his rear end. I ended up not using the meat, I just wasn't sure it was safe.
-Jake
No problem with meat but I only lost the back side of one quarter. If coyotes had been destroying it that might be another story. It was funny the fox took the testicals off the buck first, then went to work on the hind quarter.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

YA, the yote's had this buck torn apart pretty bad. I caught off the head and did a euro mount. Didn't use the rest. I felt bad, but I wasn't sure what else to do.
-Jake
Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen deer feeding in the same food plot while coyotes cruised through. Seen a deer chase a raccoon around a food plot. Seen deer feed withing 10-15 yards of dogs. Watched a video of deer and a particular dog great each other ... nearly every evening .... nuzzling. Then the dog would lay down while the deer fed. Seen deer spook at 'dillos and turkey. Seen deer and horses feeding side by side. Seen deer leave as soon as cattle showed jup. Seen deer absolutely haul tail at the first sight of feral hogs. Killed a fine 8 point that came walking in to the area right behind a column of 17 wild turkeys. Watched a yearling investigating a box turtle. Have had deer blow and go at the first sight of a bobcat. Seen deer charge a coyote and run it off a food plot. So .... reaction seems to me to be all over the board when it comes to deer being spooked (or not) by other game animals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.