Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Explain again why I NEED cover scent >

Explain again why I NEED cover scent

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Explain again why I NEED cover scent

Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends, I think, on where you hunt

If you hunt near a human environment, it can be different than way out in the boondocks.
Deer can scent anything; depends on what they get use to in their daily lives. I once hunted on a small former farm surrounded by apartments, condos and homes. Lots of perfumed people going to work with smelling detergent laden cloths. As for noise, those leaf blowers and lawn mowers sure made a racket that the deer could endure. Saw that first hand for a couple of years.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Where i hunt there is alot of horse riding trails, so i think the deer are used to humans. I can say that I have never been busted by a deer smelling me. I had to babys and a spike come 10 ft from me yesterday with out ever knowing i was there. I was in my stand about 12 ft up. I do use cover scent but i wash my clothes in regular detergent and I dont store them in special plastic bags.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Play the wind!!!!

I don't want to add something that is not native to the environment, just me being there is more than enough. i wash my clothes in baking soda and hang them outside, why? Because I have to wash my clothes anyway. I take a shower using surgical soap, why? Because I have to shower anyway. All these products do is introduce MORE non-native chemical compounds to the environment. If all this stuff worked as advertised the white tailed deer would be on the endangered species list.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as they don't cross the trail you used walking in and they don't get down wind of you, you don't...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

You don't NEED anything.

Everybody say's whitetails are the smartest creature in the woods. Wrong they are scared, and anything outa the norm alerts them.

Stay scent free, that's all I do, no cover.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Let's say me and Mr. isatarak from the first page ride together to our hunting spot. Upon arrival I hop out and immediately sneak in to my treestand. Meanwhile Mr. isatarak has to retrieve his container with his hunting clothes strip down and put them on which takes 15 minutes and makes ALL kinds of racket, after that he takes another 5 minutes spraying himself with who knows what, so I've been hunting for a full 20 minutes while he dresses himself. Then to top it off the spooks a big buck right over me on his way to his stand. The buck never knows I'm there since I've now been in my treestand a good 1/2 hour before Mr. isatarak ever gets ready. Plus he smells like a plastic container walking around! But remember he's scentless!
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug
Old 10-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kswild
Let's say me and Mr. isatarak from the first page ride together to our hunting spot. Upon arrival I hop out and immediately sneak in to my treestand. Meanwhile Mr. isatarak has to retrieve his container with his hunting clothes strip down and put them on which takes 15 minutes and makes ALL kinds of racket, after that he takes another 5 minutes spraying himself with who knows what, so I've been hunting for a full 20 minutes while he dresses himself. Then to top it off the spooks a big buck right over me on his way to his stand. The buck never knows I'm there since I've now been in my treestand a good 1/2 hour before Mr. isatarak ever gets ready. Plus he smells like a plastic container walking around! But remember he's scentless!
That's when he needs to learn to leave half an hour earlier and to park a good distance from his hunting area. You should never park your truck close enough tht getting out will scare the deer.

I do agree that putting clothes in boxes and all that is to much though. Also, Spraying yourself with scent cover only takes about ten seconds.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I would not be caught stripped down at 4;30 in the a m out in the middle of the woods in 30 degree temps. I really don't care that much if a deer smells me or not.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't. In 45+ years of hunting white tail deer, been through about every cover scent and scent elimination routine imaginable. Noted no difference to amount to squat. Down wind ... you're are smelt. Upwind, you ain't. But I still do the scent free detergent and anti-bacterial soap and the spray down with "Dead Down Wind". Some fools like me never learn !
Old 10-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
You don't. In 45+ years of hunting white tail deer, been through about every cover scent and scent elimination routine imaginable. Noted no difference to amount to squat. Down wind ... you're are smelt. Upwind, you ain't. But I still do the scent free detergent and anti-bacterial soap and the spray down with "Dead Down Wind". Some fools like me never learn !
I'm not knocking it Mojo if that's what you wanna do. My point is PLAY the WIND! Trying to give some of these youngsters just starting out something to think about. Hunting is NOT like you see on TV. That's what I want them to know. You don't NEED it to get close to deer! Have a great season!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.