Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are deers magical?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Spike

Default Are deers magical?

Just kidding of course.

However, am I the only one who is totally amazed at how they just "show up" right in front of you?

You turn your head for 2 seconds in one direction, turn back and there s/he is, right out of nowhere. It amazes me every time. Happened again to me tonight (no kill ... never came in range for my x-bow)

M.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Spike

I think they are like groundhogs,they seem to pop up outa the ground.Wondered this for years.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer are not . . .

like a noisy gang of humans tromping through the woods. But I've been slightly awed by the silent appearance of a lone coyote and how silent I had to be to see it on my treks alone.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Saw 2 does and 5 racoons last evening.

They were all stealthy !

Or us humans are deaf, and daydreaming all the time.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I call them ghost deer. I tell myself every year that I'm not going to let deer sneak up on me. Then I'm scanning the woods and then I'm like..."WHERE THE HELL DID YOU COME FROM!!"
Old 10-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I'm new to hunting I've been out enough to know what you mean,they almost always catch me off guard unless it is a somewhat open area. In thick cover and their winter coat they seem invisable. The way they can walk for the most part silent on crunchy leaves and twigs when moving slow always amazes me. This is one reason I get so excited about getting even a small Doe,it to me is a rare triumph over these ghost deer.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I once saw a buck at about 80 yards and watched him go into the tags. i scanned the area for 20 mins and never saw him again. All of a sudden I hear a twig snap and there he is 35-40 yards away from me. Oh yeah...he didn't get away.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

agree...i was hunting at a sandy area for hours one time....i never went to sleep, but i guess i quit day dreaming and focused a lil more and there were 2 does standin there....and walking up the hill was a nice buck who never gave me a shot....no texas hrt shotz here...who knows how long they were there...wish i was lol
Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Sometimes I think it would be an asset to be hard of hearing (as my son is). That way you would not rely on hearing them but rather expect them to just show up behind you at any moment. Certainly this is the case when the woods are wet or there is wind.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

They are like Viet Cong. There are tons of them all over. They have "tunnels" underneath you and that's why you never see them until they just appear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.