Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost a doe, made perfect shot

Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

I lost a deer last year, swear I had a double lung. Tracked till 2 am lookin for it, rain started in about 2 hrs after I shot. Hear a guy about 400 yrds away found it (was informed of it this year, after tellin the story). Guy couldnt believe I shot the deer so far from where he lived and it made it that far, he figured neighbor shot it. Hear lots of storys like this and some quite amazing ones of deer traveling wounded very far. Sorry to hear it, grid search with some marking tape, bring someones lab out with ya. Good luck..
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by louie6014
I lost a deer last year, swear I had a double lung. Tracked till 2 am lookin for it, rain started in about 2 hrs after I shot. Hear a guy about 400 yrds away found it (was informed of it this year, after tellin the story). Guy couldnt believe I shot the deer so far from where he lived and it made it that far, he figured neighbor shot it. Hear lots of storys like this and some quite amazing ones of deer traveling wounded very far. Sorry to hear it, grid search with some marking tape, bring someones lab out with ya. Good luck..
I brought my lab out there Lmao! she looked hilarious in the tall weeds
Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

You shot that deer in the liver. That blood in the pic is not lung blood. It is thin and runny and semi clear. Lung/heart blood is not transparent like the blood in the pic.

When I was looking for her, I missed her by the creek, which bumped her into the field.
She is dead by now but a liver shot takes about 30 minutes to two hours for the deer to die. If you bumped her you might be in for a long search. When bumped they tend to cover a lot of ground before laying down again.

Good luck finding here. Don't give up, she is dead... you just gotta be persistent in finding her.

EDIT.
After I posted the above I read this. You are definitely gonna need lots of luck finding this deer if you had your dog running around in the field.

Last edited by bigbulls; 10-06-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
You shot that deer in the liver. That blood in the pic is not lung blood. It is thin and runny and semi clear. Lung/heart blood is not transparent like the blood in the pic.

She is dead by now but a liver shot takes about 30 minutes to two hours for the deer to die. If you bumped her you might be in for a long search. When bumped they tend to cover a lot of ground before laying down again.

Good luck finding here. Don't give up, she is dead... you just gotta be persistent in finding her.

EDIT.
After I posted the above I read this. You are definitely gonna need lots of luck finding this deer if you had your dog running around in the field.

I also found some really thick blotches of blood, clumpy almost. When I bumped her, I saw where it bedded down again, it only moved 15 yrds, that's why I was surprised when I couldn't find her.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quote:
When I was looking for her, I missed her by the creek, which bumped her into the field.

EDIT.
Quote:
x2

A perfect shot is not in the middle of the deer.

It started going bad when you took up the trail too soon and bumped her. Then only waiting a half hour AFTER bumping her already. You bumped her again probaly to never be found.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you take up the search, be sure to look for sign about 2 feet up in the grass/weeds, as well as on the ground. Keep at it. Be methodical about it, don't just wander around. Keep eliminating blocks of cover. These are the ones you almost need to trip over. Persistence is the key.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

I concur on the methodical grid method for searching the field. It's a deer dead for sure--the only question that remains is if you can find it.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Whats the verdict on this one? You find her?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Spike

Also want to know how this turned out. Update please!!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

How long did you wait before trailing it? 30 minutes is minimum for any shot, unless the deer is dead in plain site 20 yards away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.