Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost a doe, made perfect shot

Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default Lost a doe, made perfect shot

Well, after 15 minutes in the stand, I had a doe come 20 yards. I took a shot, and it couldn't have been better. Deer jumped, arrow went all the way through, and it was shot where it should be. Tracked it across a creek into a field and lost it. Field has weeds 6 feet high.

Blood was good, I thought for sure i would be dragging it away

Last edited by BowShotOutdoors; 10-07-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

See my thread ("What Happened on this Shot?")

Join the crowd

But that's disappointing when there's a good blood trail.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

How was the blood on the arrow? Lung blood? Liver blood?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
How was the blood on the arrow? Lung blood? Liver blood?
Thin and orangish
Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I know you video... You get the shot?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that stinks. I had the same thing happen last year with a nice 10 point. It was a little forward and went into some 6 foot high CRP grass. Never found him but did get a trail cam pic of him a few weeks ago so finally know he made it.

When you say perfect shot, was it mid lungs, lower lungs or high lungs? High lungs don't bleed right away sometimes since the lungs need to fill up with blood. Orange blood does sound lung like but you never can tell. I doubt she is far. Is there a water source near by? If she isn't immediately down she could be heading for that. Also, if there is a super thick area around, try that in the morning. Wounded deer head to the thickest area possible. When I would rabbit hunt in southern Illinois on public land, I would find many deer skeletons (Some with arrows and all) in the real thick brush/trees/weeds trying to push rabbits to my buddies. Let us know where you think the hit was and that might help people with their opinions. Good Luck and don't beat yourself up, it happens to the best of us. Just do your absolute best to find her.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Spike

The shot was right in the middle, so mid lungs, not really high. Its definitely the best shot I've ever made. There is a creek and the river is only 50 yrds from where she was shot. When I was looking for her, I missed her by the creek, which bumped her into the field. I saw exactly where she went in the field, and waited another half hour, then when I went to the spot, I couln't find anything.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect shot = DEAD DEER!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you even made penetrations into one lung that should be a dead deer. I have a feeling that if you backed out and go in tomorrow morning you'll find her where near where she went in. A double lunged deer isn't going far. Id say in the morning take a look there and follow the deer trails where she went in and you should find her. Good luck and keep us updated and if you have anymore questions I'm sure everyone on here will do their best to help.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fastetti
If you even made penetrations into one lung that should be a dead deer. I have a feeling that if you backed out and go in tomorrow morning you'll find her where near where she went in. A double lunged deer isn't going far. Id say in the morning take a look there and follow the deer trails where she went in and you should find her. Good luck and keep us updated and if you have anymore questions I'm sure everyone on here will do their best to help.
Hopefully the daylight will help a lot more. I plan on looking more. I wish I could fly a plane over this field lol, I would find her so much easier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.