HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Rack Scores? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/351014-rack-scores.html)

Big Bullets 10-06-2011 08:46 AM

Rack Scores?

I reading through the hread, a number of people mentioned the rack scores of deer they have taken. I realized that I had never scored any of my deer in spite having three worth mounting.

Just wondered if I am the norm.

Huntingtherut 10-06-2011 09:32 AM

Rack score does not mean much to me. I do measure mine or use the score in hunting talk, only to describe the size. In my opinion tho, I dont use the score to determine if the deer is a shooter or should be mounted. If the rack is nice and I think it is special, I shoot and score after Im already at the taxidemist. I have seen 100 inch deer mounted that are beautiful and have special meaning behind the harvest. I have also seen 200 inch deer that obviously look impressive. Its all about what you want and the enjoyment of the hunt.

turkey harvester 10-06-2011 11:12 AM

It seems like the hunting part is gone, its now about the size of the rack and what it will score. Some people will bash you if you kill a 2 or 3 year old buck. They say why didn't you let him grow up? Outfitters like big scoring racks because its all about the money. Bigger bucks more money. If i like it I kill it, but I don't wait 10-14 days looking for that 1 special buck, I like to eat them too.

Stonewall308 10-06-2011 12:26 PM

I am one of those that thinks rack scoring has gone way too far, and is detracting from the sport of hunting.

Using rack score to create record books is a good idea, but IMO the fact that today nearly every joe schmoe knows the score of every deer he has mounted is not a good thing. SAT scores are all about numbers, deer hunting is not.

Big Bullets 10-06-2011 12:45 PM

The truth is that, I do not really know how a rack is scored. I know that in one system, inches are lost for some reasons. I can't make sense of that. If it is there it has to count.

I am now curious however. Maybe I will find out how to do it just to measure the 3 on the walls. I live in PA and they are more than "spikes and forkhorns". I know that they are special to me and that is what is important.

If I ever get around to it, I'll publish the results.

halfbakedi420 10-06-2011 02:54 PM

never ever scored a deer til i joined the contest here.

Valentine 10-06-2011 04:01 PM

No one hunter is the norm

Since we generally all compete with other hunters to harvest deer, I've never recognized any equality in choices among hunters.

The state allows us to hunt to harvest deer, not shoot just the biggest of the big bucks. Even on the best quality deer land, sometimes shooting deer without any antlers is required.

And for some, someone other has to do the tough jobs of shooting deer, not with the greatest of racks, to cover the necessary harvest.

Bocajnala 10-06-2011 04:14 PM

I have only scored deer for online contests. Never cared myself. In the early season I usually let smaller bucks walk, just because I don't feel like shooting them then and would like a chance at a bigger one. But later in the year, if I need to shoot one, if it's legal I'll shoot it. I hunt because I love being in the woods, I love being around my family and friends I hunt with, and I love eating game. A score is nothing to me personally. But I don't mind other ppl posting their scores. Just isn't my thing.
-Jake

rshunter32 10-06-2011 06:49 PM

If its a trophy in your eyes then score means nothing.

halfbakedi420 10-07-2011 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Valentine (Post 3857598)
Since we generally all compete with other hunters to harvest deer, I've never recognized any equality in choices among hunters.

The state allows us to hunt to harvest deer, not shoot just the biggest of the big bucks. Even on the best quality deer land, sometimes shooting deer without any antlers is required.

And for some, someone other has to do the tough jobs of shooting deer, not with the greatest of racks, to cover the necessary harvest.

i beg to differ, we have antler restrictions, they must be bigger than 13" spread.