HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Buckshot found in deer, should I eat it!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/350872-buckshot-found-deer-should-i-eat.html)

Bushmeat 10-04-2011 06:03 AM

Buckshot found in deer, should I eat it!!

Hello, this is my first post and from my research this is the best hunting site out there.

Just shot a nice doe in Vermont Sunday, started to cut it up and so far I've found 5 pellets of 00 buck shot scattered throughout the left side of the deer, from the front shoulder to the rear hind quarter. I've read that the lead can leach into the meat so should i be worried about eating this deer? My plan is to cut all pieces into small chunks checking for pellets then make burger out of it. Don't want to bite into a steak or roast and hit some lead or should I not even eat it?

Thanks to all from Vermont!

jerseyhunter 10-04-2011 07:50 AM

I would rather bite into a piece of soft lead than grind it and not know I'm eating it. I would throw away the bruised area around the shot, if in doubt throw it out. As far as leaching into the meat. You eat tuna fish don't you?

Bushmeat 10-04-2011 08:35 AM

To be clear, I shot the doe with my bow and found the old buckshot while butchering so the lead has been in the deer's body for quite some time. Just concerned about the lead leaching into the meat. No, don't each much tuna, lobsta instead.

jerseyhunter 10-04-2011 09:39 AM

I realize you shot it with you bow, I;ve probably swallowed more lead from holding sinkers inmy my mouth,eating pheasant and venison. I wouldn;t wory about leaching. I'm pretty sure what they mean is that the lead leaches and accumulates the more a living thing consumes a lead ladden meal. As in a minnow is eaten by a bunker, the bunker is eaten by a blue, and the blue is eaten by a tuna. The older ant animal or fish is,including humans the more lead theyhave in them.It accumulates over time and cannot rid itself of it's so called host. So, did you eat any paint chips as a child or maybe open a split shot with you teeth?

the blur 10-04-2011 12:40 PM

Is buckshot legal in VT?
where I live, it's illegal, and I guess that's why.... that deer has been wounded since last season.

I'd just cut a few inches around it. Lead is more of a concern with kids, than with adults.

That is one unlucky dear. He didn't sniff out the 1st hunter.

rh160kid 10-04-2011 02:44 PM

You consuming lead "tainted" meat is not an issue, thats for sure!!! Just be sure to go through the meat and get all the pellets out and trim any of the bruised or scar tissue areas where the pellets are. The biggest issue here is getting the pellets out so you dont run em thru your grinder and break sumthing!!! 00 buckshot will do a number on yer grinder plate,knives, etc. Congrats on yer harvest!!!

zaboo 10-04-2011 07:35 PM

i wouldnt eat it lead is bad stuff lol

warbirdlover 10-05-2011 08:12 PM

It's more dangerous to cast lead bullets. Once you get the lead vapors going you can get seriously lead poisoned from breathing it.

You should be able to find that size lead pellet in the deer. I can usually find most of the shot in the birds I shoot and those are pretty small.

Don't worry about it.

timbercruiser 10-06-2011 04:34 AM

The lead didn't kill the deer did it?

Bocajnala 10-06-2011 08:05 AM

Eat it. If there is bruising, or any damaged looking meat around the shot, cut that area out. Try to find the pellets, you should be able to just rub the meat and feel them. You don't wanna run one of those through your grinder. The lead will not hurt you.
-Jake