Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn? >

Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn?

I did, last evening. Feeling bad about it.

I was in the tree stand and 2 deer came into my area. They looked like small does to me, and I was debating what to do. One of them had some type of skin condition, with patches of fur missing on its back. So I made the decision to take that deer. After I shot and the deer hit the ground, I looked down at it and it seemed smaller than I had thought it was. Sure enough, when I got down to it it was just a large spotless fawn. I swore a few times, then got to the business of honoring the animal by harvesting as much meat as I can off it.

I admit I had some bloodlust, after missing a shot at a doe on a federal land management hunt on Saturday, but I would never have taken the shot if I properly judged the deer's size (or lack there of).

I need to become a better judge of deer body characteristics to avoid this in the future.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I will get out back again on Thursday, but I will limit my arrows to something with 6 or more points.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. I felt bad at first, but then I realized I was just being silly. A deer is a deer and dead is dead. What does its size matter? If I was set on taking a deer when I was out, and I saw a doe with two fawns, I would take one of the fawns instead of the doe in a heartbeat. Most people would do the opposite.

Now, enjoy the best-tasting venison you will ever eat (a fawn), and don't feel bad about something that, in the end, is pretty superficial. If those fawns were alone, then they may have lost their mother. Could have been a very, very hard winter for the one you took without mom.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt to have fresh venision in the freezer, not to impress others with the size...

Nope, never felt guilty and you shouldn't either...
Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I want to try with the next fawn I get.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...tos-added.html
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
This is what I want to try with the next fawn I get.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...tos-added.html
Wow, that does look good. I am feeling better about myself, and about eating the doeling.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Don't beat yourself up! There's nothing wrong with taking a young deer. Especially once you've tasted it. That link posted is a great idea. Also, if it does bother you, just look for a bigger one next time and learn what to look for. I know guys that take the smallest doe they see once antlerless season rolls around. As long as it's legal, no worries.
-Jake
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

ive done the same thing only i realized it was a button buck. I felt pretty bad about that but then i donated it to sportsman against hunger, i felt better knowing the meat was going to good use.

I learned one good way to judge size is by looking at the ears, if they look to big for the deers head then its probably small.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Here is great article on aging deer on the hoof.. This really spells it out clearly.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2206.pdf
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Sure, I like to shoot a nice size buck, but with a small deer:
- Easier to put down.
- Easier to drag out.
- Easier to skin and process.
- Better to eat.
And if you live up north, that small late fawn will be the first to die in a hard winter.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of it referred as a "spotless" fawn. All fawns lose their spots, some sooner than others. The answer to the question is, yes, I have shot deer thinking they were does and turned out to be a young deer. Very good eating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.