Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn? >

Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of it referred as a "spotless" fawn. All fawns lose their spots, some sooner than others. The answer to the question is, yes, I have shot deer thinking they were does and turned out to be a young deer. Very good eating.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

Meat is meat, i just choose not to shoot fawns because of all the work and money involved to yield such little meat. How I judge a doe's age is basically just by looking at his head. Fawns have very short snouts.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjwink
Here is great article on aging deer on the hoof.. This really spells it out clearly.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2206.pdf
great link....helped me in the field years ago, now I'm pretty good at it ....it was the button bucks that used to be hard for me to id but this really helped me... if the deer is smaller than my dog i dont shoot it.....thats helped too.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had 2 deer under my stand Saturday AM. They were the same size and looked smallish to me, but I was not positive they were fawns at first. After they got in my wind I could tell by the way they acted they were fawns. This was certainly their first encounter with a hunter. They milled around my stand trying to figure out where I was, then left after a while. Close inspection determined they were 2 doe fawns. Not sure where the mother was, maybe hit by a car. Anyway, they will be good Buck bait later in the year.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it few times in my day... I never made excusses for it...

I hunt with a recurve now and if one walks by my stand and gives me a 15 yard shot it goes down...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ever eat lamb or veal?

Funny, in the fishing community, you get beat up for keeping the big fish. They say you should release the big breeders and keep the small fish that taste better anyway.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 AM
Spike

No, but I've shot 2 button bucks only to find out when I went to fielddress, almost the same thing but to me worse. Very tasty though!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

During ML season I shot what I believed to be a doe but it turned out to be a spike buck that had already dropped it's antlers. Not sure why it had dropped them so early but it had. Good eating deer too!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

As most have said, yes, I have shot fawns. I haven't been bothered by it...and as has been stated several times, neither will you when you start chowing down on that little girl!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Spike

dont sweat that it was old enough if all the spots where gone