Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost a deer tonight.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a sweet rack, and flower. Congrats on not only shooting him, but on finding him as well.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's unfortunate, but you did all you could. Looks like a nice deer too.

I have been considering getting into bowhunting, but it's stuff like that this that makes me really hesitant. Sounds like dpv made a great shot and still the buck ran off and wasn't recovered until it was too late. I'm sure this is not a fond memory for dpv, and not something I would like to experience.

There are no guarantees with gun hunting either, but I doubt that buck would have gone as far had he been hit in the same spot with a 300gr projectile from a slug gun or muzzleloader.

What is the average recovery percentage for bowhunters? Anyone know?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

glad you found him, you can salvage the rack at least.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I like a good set of ,antlers but I hunt for meat not boney trophies. Antlers are a cool bonus. I hunted 7 years without killing a deer. Gave it up for a couple years then went back to it. Killed a doe for my first deer and was as happy as I could be. It tasted great. Losing a deer and not finding it sucks. Finding it gone to waste sucks more. I know the yotes and buzzards have to eat but I really hate losing that meat. There were at least 50 lbs of meat on that deer and they went to waste. That's one less buck on the land here...one less deer in my area. I have never had the reality that you can't eat antlers hammered home to me as I have this week. I will gladly take 20 does without another shot at a buck if that's what it takes to get meat in the freezer.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
I will gladly take 20 does without another shot at a buck if that's what it takes to get meat in the freezer.
my sentiments exactly....
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

The meat is probably still good. I had meat sit out at 55 degrees for hours, and then I froze it. it's fine.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry for your loss but great follow up. I myself would have tried to salvage the backstraps as well as the front quarters if the temps were ok. That said, when in doubt throw it out. It's npt woth risking ilness. Although I once shared a doe with a bear. recovered it the next morning only to find it was dragged about 5 yds and part of the hind leg was eaten. I saw the bear so I just tossed the leg and made due with what he left me. Never again will a deer sit over night. Good luck with your next one and hope you fill your larder.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Concern about rabies and whatever vileness the vultures could be carrying took my appetite away. A deer isn't worth dieing over. If I was in a survival situation I might consider it.....might. Probably would just try to kill another animal.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

We don't eat raw meat. therefore 99% of concerns are cooked away.