Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting shows = lame

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Spike

Default hunting shows = lame

i hate all these hunting shows. they show this monster bucks and say this is what a hunt is made out to be.. in retro i believe hunting and being successful is harvesting any deer and having the experience with you,friends and loved ones. i killed my biggest buck last yr at "151" and it took many years for this to happen.. and btw you cant eat horns and i love deer meat and jerky

anyone agree?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

My biggest scores around 70". Out of the 30 deer that I have killed only 7 have been antlered bucks. I do like shows/movies where they shoot all sorts of deer, not just the big ones. However it's a nice fantasy to watch the shows where they kill the big mamma jammas. Hunting in northern michigan i will prolly never see a buck like the ones on the huntin movies. But you are right in saying that the best hunts are with family and friends.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Spike

Agree completely.

These so called "Hunting shows" are nothing more than glorified commercials. They are trying to convince you that if you just buy this particular product, you will be successful.

What really concerns me is the young generation of people that have an interest in getting into hunting. They look at these shows and dont realize that its total horsesh!t, and not hunting. They think you need all the top of the line gear from gun to scents, with this particular cammo and that scope and this tree stand, and these boots and that ammo, and scent cover, and a feeder and a decoy and on and on and on. These kids dont stand a chance! How many hunting shows start with the host saying " Im here with my good friend whomever at whateverland ranch or outfitter". CMON! how many people are gonna drop 6 grand (easy) on a hunting trip to Saskatchewan or Iowa or wherever for a white tail. Some people will, no doubt, but its FAR from the norm. Its all a crock. Its turned into nothing but business and diminishes the spirit of our sport. Even now I have a hard time with a lot of people and their ethics and ideals towards hunting.

I mean, just youtube "deer hunting" and you will see what I mean. Someone shoots a deer and the first thing they do is set up over the deer in that classic pose (you know the one I mean)and start rambling about how this explodo broadhead really did the job, or this whatever product did great and brought the deer in. They mimic the TV shows. Why? I got to think they believe thats what you do.

Hunting is a passion for me, and I feel like theres a lot of so called hunters out there giving it a bad name. I was fortunate enough to be taught by my father who was taught by his and so on and so on, and with it came a very strong ethic. I live in some of the finest hunting grounds in North America and cherish every inch of it. I go out of my way to try to get out with people who show an interest in hunting and teach them what I feel to be the right way of doing it. The last thing I would ever do would be to tell them to watch the "hunting commercial" on tv.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Spike

a few brands really crack me up..

come here dear

deer dander

and bb squared

l0l
Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Spike

What cracks me up is that they promote the gear and most the time where they're hunting they could walk out in the middle of a field wearing bright yellow sprayed down with cologne and that "Monster Buck'' would still come runnin to the dinner bell.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Spike

welcome to "high fenced hunting" it should be called... my deer i feed for 4 years dies today...l0l

Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Imperfection of thought

Even though a human being thinks the thought, doesn't make it perfect. (A little of my philosophy)

And I never hunted, because everyone hunted, who hunted. And I'm glad I missed, virtually all, those cable tv hunting productions of the last 20 years. I missed out on spending some money, I never had or would wish to spend.

We humans tend to kill a good thing, with overexposure. And the way things are today, a hunter and his money are soon to be parted.

Years ago I worked in a very large sporting goods store. One day I took a look at all the products and realized as an outdoorsman, there were many, many products I would never own or use. It would never be hunter and the total number of products I used to hunt. Saved my mind and pocket, a whole lot of time and money.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting in northern michigan i will prolly never see a buck like the ones on the huntin movies.
I believe you have the genetics up there to grow those bucks in MI. You just have to be lucky enough to run into a 5 or 6 year old buck.

PA has long had the reputation of a spike and forkhorn state. But, in the last few years, I've seen 150,160 and even 170+ inch deer come from within a short drive of where I hunt. I have trail cam photos of deer that were in the 140s two years ago. Those bucks have got to be slammers now. It's just a matter of finding them.

However, trying to find these deer in miles of over grown clear cuts, swamps and berry thickets is not as easy as watching a field of deer from a shooting house.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Agreed .308

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I believe you have the genetics up there to grow those bucks in MI. You just have to be lucky enough to run into a 5 or 6 year old buck.

PA has long had the reputation of a spike and forkhorn state. But, in the last few years, I've seen 150,160 and even 170+ inch deer come from within a short drive of where I hunt. I have trail cam photos of deer that were in the 140s two years ago. Those bucks have got to be slammers now. It's just a matter of finding them.

However, trying to find these deer in miles of over grown clear cuts, swamps and berry thickets is not as easy as watching a field of deer from a shooting house.
Biggest I've scored up here is a 128, we've seen bigger. Problem most down staters have is they have to hunt the big woods state land. And I "really" appreciate that 750,000 civilian army pushing them onto my land
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by runko
welcome to "high fenced hunting" it should be called... my deer i feed for 4 years dies today...l0l

I have to agree with this! I was watching a show today and the guy was putting acorn rage in his feeder... He said tell me the deer don't love this stuff. About 40 yards away a nice buck standing there licking his lips waiting on the guy to move!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.