Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting shows = lame

Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Nothing wrong with watching hunting shows IMHO. I get the Outdoor Channel, Sportsman's Channel, Versus, Hunt, as well as RFTD that occasionally has a hunting show on it. I had rather watch a lot of those shows over a bunch of the junk that is on other stations.
Agree completely. A lot of the shows are garbage, but some of them I do enjoy. Buck Ventures, Midwest Whitetail and On Your Own Adventures. I don't want to see a hunting show take place in a studio but I do want to see what happens back at camp when people show off there bucks when they come into camp. If its at night, I want to see some guys having a beer and talking about the days hunt. Thats what hunting is all about, not passing on 170s because they have heard there is a 200 inch buck in there area.

Shows with new hunters are some of my favorites, to see a kid or a new hunter go crazy over a sub 100 inch deer is 10x better than seeing a 200 inch buck shot by someone who hunts 8 states a year.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watch Benny Spies. He doesn't shoot a Booner on every hunt.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Drfeelsgood
Agree completely.

These so called "Hunting shows" are nothing more than glorified commercials. They are trying to convince you that if you just buy this particular product, you will be successful.

What really concerns me is the young generation of people that have an interest in getting into hunting. They look at these shows and dont realize that its total horsesh!t, and not hunting. They think you need all the top of the line gear from gun to scents, with this particular cammo and that scope and this tree stand, and these boots and that ammo, and scent cover, and a feeder and a decoy and on and on and on. These kids dont stand a chance! How many hunting shows start with the host saying " Im here with my good friend whomever at whateverland ranch or outfitter". CMON! how many people are gonna drop 6 grand (easy) on a hunting trip to Saskatchewan or Iow wherever for a white tail. Some people will, no doubt, but its FAR from the norm. Its all a crock. Its turned into nothing but business and diminishes the spirit of our sport. Even now I have a hard time with a lot of people and their ethics and ideals towards hunting.

I mean, just youtube "deer hunting" and you will see what I mean. Someone shoots a deer and the first thing they do is set up over the deer in that classic

pose (you know the one I mean)and start rambling about how this explodo broadhead really did the job, or this whatever product did great and brought the deer in. They mimic the TV shows. Why? I got to think they believe thats what you do.

Hunting is a passion for me, and I feel like theres a lot of so called hunters out there giving it a bad name. I was fortunate enough to be taught by my father who was taught by his and so on and so on, and with it came a very strong ethic. I live in some of the finest hunting grounds in North America and cherish every inch of it. I go out of my way to try to get out with people who show an interest in hunting and teach them what I feel to be the right way of doing it. The last thing I would ever do would be to tell them to watch the "hunting commercial" on tv.
I will second that. Right on.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Spike

I like to watch some of them too, but I agree with scottycoyote if some of those guys were to come hunt where I do I think they would appreciate the fine art of hunting.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Most of these hunters that have their own show started out like us. They made a name for themselves early hunting public and private ground by themselves and consistently killing big deer after big deer. Most have forgotten more about hunting than what we know. Now that they have their own show, they feel the need to produce every time for viewing purposes. That is why they go to different states or outfitters if need be. Like somebody previously mentioned, nobody wants to watch 30 minutes of nothing. If I was given a week straight to hunt hard, I could also pack a lot of good footage and probably a kill or two into 30 minutes also. What some hosts of hunting shows do is not hunting at all I agree, but you have to give it to the Lakoskys, the Kiskys, and the Drurys that hunt their own farms and do it the right way. They are just fortunate to have the ground and means necessary to make it happen on camera time after time. It doesn't mean they're not "true" hunters.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Spike

I agree guys. I'm going to film some real deer hunters like yourselves from 10/15 to 11/10 - http://www.huntography.com/2011-huntographers/

All public or private land. No outfitters. No ranches. No deer farms. Just regular folks doing their thing. You can see a bit of what to expect from the trailer from last year.

Hope you follow along as we'll all be sharing what's happening in realtime.

Best,

Rudy

Last edited by huntography; 10-11-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntography
I agree guys. I'm going to film some real deer hunters like yourselves from 10/15 to 11/10 - http://www.huntography.com/2011-huntographers/

All public or private land. No outfitters. No ranches. No deer farms. Just regular folks doing their thing. You can see a bit of what to expect from the trailer from last year.

Best,

Rudy
I have to make the most of the 2 properties of about 15 total acres to which I have access. Used to have access to a larger property but, it was sold. Taking an 8 or 9 pointer is something under those limitations yet, two of us have done it more than once.

Some years ago I wrote to a couple of the big name hunting shows and suggested that they feature "regular hunters" once in a while. Just like watching kids and other first time hunters like wounded vets and such, it really is more interesting and something with which more of us could identify. Still waiting for the responses!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntography

Best,

Rudy
Checkd out the site Rudy. Super cool!
Have a great time filming. Im looking forward to seeing the dvds.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Spike

Just bought me $99.00 camera..........see if me and my 11 year old can get our start....lol

I do enjoy Michael Wadell and Inside Outdoor TV
Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Bullets
I have to make the most of the 2 properties of about 15 total acres to which I have access. Used to have access to a larger property but, it was sold. Taking an 8 or 9 pointer is something under those limitations yet, two of us have done it more than once.

Some years ago I wrote to a couple of the big name hunting shows and suggested that they feature "regular hunters" once in a while. Just like watching kids and other first time hunters like wounded vets and such, it really is more interesting and something with which more of us could identify. Still waiting for the responses!
Who knows, maybe one day I can come and film you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.