Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting shows = lame

Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing wrong with watching hunting shows IMHO. I get the Outdoor Channel, Sportsman's Channel, Versus, Hunt, as well as RFTD that occasionally has a hunting show on it. I had rather watch a lot of those shows over a bunch of the junk that is on other stations.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 AM
Spike

Come on guys. These shows don't air on PBS. Somebody has to pay the bills, somehow.

There are some things I don't agree with, like 50+ yd. shots, but that's an ethical question you have to answer for yourself. There are other things, like tree stand safety (specifically safety harness or belt use), that wouldn't even be talked about without these shows.

Most of the people, on these shows, paid their dues (world champion callers, world class hunters, innovaters in their chosen field, etc) long before they got their shot at a hunting show. How long would a show last that had "Joe the Plumber" blundering into the woods by a cornfield just to shoot the first doe or spike that happened to pass by?

Think about where we would be if some of the manufacturers that sponser these shows didn't donate quite a bit of money for fighting the Humane Society and PETA type morons that want to who want to take our hunting privileges away.

To end this rant, I'd like to note that most of the people I know , personally, who say "you can't eat horns" either don't have or don't use the skill and patience required to consistantly take large bucks. I don't know any of these guys who wouldn't dust that 150+ buck, given the chance.

If you don't like the hunting shows, most remotes out there have and off and a channel selection button.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

^Boom! Yessir, my thoughts exactly. I love watching hunting shows.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

i like watching a few of them, but for the most part they sure dont mirror the reality of where i hunt. For just entertainment i kind of like Benny Spies, and there are a few shows that will teach you something here and there which im always looking for.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Spike

there used to be a show called on your own adventures and the hosts name was randy i think. his show was the closest thing to real hunting ive seen. he hunted on public land and never killed a monster but was happy with a nice 3x3 or something. this was my favorite hunting show because it was real but i havent seen it in awhile
Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Venting

I watch many of the shows. From time to time, I learn something. I liked Tred Barta because he showed success & failure as it happened. He also did not use exotic equipment.

That being said, the down side was when, when someone on one of the Africa hunts said something to the effect that, "This is my 10th time in Africa. It is a great experience which you all should try."

I stopped and thought, "Is he for real? Does he understand that I have wanted to do that since I was 10 years old and will never get the chance. That, the average hunter actually has to pay for his hunting out of his own pocket. That, sponsers and endorements are not covering the costs."

I was really annoyed! The gall it took to assume that average people can make such trips. Oh yes, adding to my peak was the Merkels and Blasers which, will not kill anything any deader than a Winchester, Browning or Savage.

Obviously, people like me must not be their target market. I do not belong to the Dallas Safari Club.

Okay, I fell better now.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zaboo
there used to be a show called on your own adventures and the hosts name was randy i think. his show was the closest thing to real hunting ive seen. he hunted on public land and never killed a monster but was happy with a nice 3x3 or something. this was my favorite hunting show because it was real but i havent seen it in awhile
Yes I like that one also. He was hunting public land pronhorn last one I saw. Great show. It is entertainment. Nobody is going to watch a 30 minute show of a guy sitting and staring at nothing. You also have to remember that a lot of footage never sees air. When you turn on sports center do you complain cause they did not show every out of a baseball game. You have to take it as a highlight show. Some are better than other and some are more close to real hunting than other. Just decide for yourself and enjoy it or just don't watch. I would take all endorsements with a grain of salt.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

I like watching them. If you can't sort out the difference between TV and real life, then the content of a TV show is far from your biggest problem.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

These so called "Hunting shows" are nothing more than glorified commercials.
Well said.

If you made the following rules:

1. No guide services, hunt on public or private land without any help.
2. Use all the "products" you sell that you want.
3. You have one week.

NONE would get a deer, much less a big buck. They are supposed to be mighty hunters but if left to do it without the help of a guide and without someone letting the big deer out of a cage on cue they'd be lost.

I watch the shows just to see the nice bucks that can be grown on a game farm...
Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think ANY of the hunting shows do our sport justice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.