Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock scrape NO licking branch?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default Mock scrape NO licking branch?

I have an old tractor trail with a lot of deer activity on it. I want to put a mock scrape on it but it's in a planted pine stand. There aren't any low braches for a licking branch any suggestions on how to make one or is there something I can buy to mount a branch to an exsiting tree. Thanks for any help. REV
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

JRev, I never thought about adding a licking branch to a tree that has no low branches. If there are absolutely no small trees available to make your scrape by, I would suggest opting for a rub on the nearest tree. I guess you could cut a small branch from a pine or cedar and attach it with a ratchet strap, to the tree by your mock scrape. Let me know what you decide and how it works.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

BTW - Welcome to the site and the forums. I look forward to reading tales of your hunt adventures and harvest, Join us in chat some evening, if you have the time.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can make one easy enough. Cut a sapling say 3" in diameter and 10-15 feet long. Dig a post hole by your mock scrape. Bend the top of the sapling down and then tie it back to the trunk. You're basically making a "P" shape. Insert in the post hole and back-fill.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a way, string some wire between two pine trees, just above where the bucks head would be for him to raise up his head, and look up.
Not to high but just enough for him not to get tangled up in.
With the bottom of the limbs about the hight of his antlers, to keep his antlers from getting caught in the wire.
Then cut a forked limb, then hang the limb on the wire, and secure with a plastic cable tie clip off the tail.
Now you have a licking branch that looks natural.

Good Luck, and post pictures.

jrbsr

I know its not a good picture, but it shows the idea.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Spike

Thanks for the tips I tied up a branch for a while but didn't like it. I made a bracket that straps to the tree and holds a branch. I have pictures of three bucks visiting it.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JREV
Thanks for the tips I tied up a branch for a while but didn't like it. I made a bracket that straps to the tree and holds a branch. I have pictures of three bucks visiting it.
don't believe it unless I see the picks
Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Spike

what kind of deer is that jrbsr?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default Branch Clamp

Here's the clamp. It's probably alot heavier than it needs to be but it works.
Attached Thumbnails Mock scrape NO licking branch?-branch-clamp.jpg   Mock scrape NO licking branch?-branch-clamp2-800x450-.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Spike

Default Mock licking Branch

This is a buck at my mock srcape and licking branch setup. If you look at the tree the shiny thing is the clamp holding the branch.
Attached Thumbnails Mock scrape NO licking branch?-pict0013-800x600-.jpg