Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Total newbie seeking help on getting started >

Total newbie seeking help on getting started

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Total newbie seeking help on getting started

Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default Total newbie seeking help on getting started

Hey there everyone. I have been shooting guns and archery for 6-7 years now and have decided to make the jump from just target shooting to hunting. I live in illinois and have taken the required hunter safety class, but I have no idea where to start. I was looking at permits and right there my confusion started.
There is the lottery system and then land only permits and nothing seems to be clearly stated and its just confusing.
So I have a bow and a 12 gauge slug gun ready to go but I don't know how you pick the counties you want to apply for in the lottery, or I'm not even super keen on the lottery system. I have quite a few farmer friends in northern illinois that will let me hunt their property but I dont see the option for that permit since the land only states that i need to own or lease land.
essentially I am looking for a brief overview of how to get started, pick the proper counties to apply for the lottery and which permit to get if I'm hunting a friends land. All the basics for bow and gun hunting deer in illinois
Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Spike

Sounds like you need to get online or call your DNR office for some clarity. Maybe talk to some older guys who've been through it. Sounds very complicated to me. Here in Delaware all you do is buy the License, comes with four tags. Buy your buck tags, go hunting either on private or public land. Good luck to you this season, hope it works out for you.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Spike

Ask your self two questions first are you hunting Private land, Public land or Both. Second how much money you are welling to spend. First if you are hunting private land you have no worries if you are archery hunting only all you need is a hunting permit, electronic habitat stamp, and an archery tag all together it should cost you about 40 to 45 dollars depending on weather you want to hunt turkeys or not during bow season you will also need to get a treestand which can cost anywhere from 200 to 400 dollars depending on what type and quality you want climbers are more expensive due to the fact to can move them much more easily. If you are hunting Public land you have got a few more things to consider do all the above and call the DNR office at the place you want to hunt and get on the list and then go buy a a large chain as if you take your treestand out there I have heard of people stealing them often. Of course you will need camo and cover scents, earth scent is a good place to start, and you might need to configure your bow to shoot low depending on how high you stand is and at what angle you are shooting from with a bow about 8 inches low from the spot you are aiming at on level ground. If you are hunting both Public and Private scout both pieces of land thoroughly and identify what places you want to hunt it might be a good idea to identify better hunting areas for different weather as this might be a better avenue to proceed down than alternating days. Stick and stand and make it pay. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Spike

You pick the counties you apply for by determining your primary gun hunting site you can gun hunt more than one county but be sure you can only take two bucks per hunting season you can take as many does as you have permits for, once you find out which county you want to gun hunt in apply for it they also give you a option to pick a secondary county just in case you do not get your first pick or you can go OTC for doe permits in different counties WALMART or any Outdoor outfitter locally. In any case make sure you have a place to hunt in both counties by either asking the private land owner or calling the DNR of the public land you wish hunt in WARNING in ILL their are some Public land hunting sites that do not allow gun hunting. Most allow bow hunting. Also the lottery system works like this to my knowledge the DNR have a set number of permits they are allowed to hand out if you go into the lottery you are asking for ES/ES+AO tags you can i have heard buy AO tags OTC but i have never done it. good luck hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Spike

That is a huge help. Cleared up quite a few things. Thank you very very much. Ill keep this post updated as to how I do.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

I'd also say if you have never done this before, find a freind who has and buddy up to hunt together. If one of you gets a deer you are going to get a whole new lesson in hunting...after the shot. A harvested deer begins the "work" part of hunting and can be quite a task for anyone by themself much less someone who has very little idea what they are doing. Not to mention the challenge that is "tracking" after the shot. THe shooting is the easy part! REALLY! It takes very little to luck out and make a great shot. It takes a lot afterwards to truely reap the rewards and not waste a fine animal.

I have been hunting since I was 9. I'm 45. I can do it all all by myself, and I know enough about it that I prefer not to. I've ended up doing at least 1 each of the last 2 seasons by myself counting the one in the avatar. (I get picky by myself) I find it much more rewarding to share the time with freinds and family.

Last edited by Scottdnramember; 09-28-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwIOADtxps
Here it is Beginners! This video takes you through all the steps and shows you exactly what you need to do to successfully harvest not only big game.... Any Game! Enjoy the video and Good luck in the field. Happy hunting! If this video helps you please rate and comment!
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I feel your pain; deer hunting in Illinois is about as complicated as filling out a 1040 long form (I primarily hunt public land in north/central Illinois). That said, archery permits are available over the counter and are good for the whole state, no county permits for archery. For gun hunting, there are plenty of county permits left for most counties. There is an online purchasing system at the IDNR website in the deer hunting section. Almost all public sites cannot be hunted with a county permit (though an archery permit is good there as well as private) and have seperate permits -- in the online system, they appear as a seperate choice along with counties. There is another page with permits remaining, so check that before you apply so you know there are permits left for where you are applying.
Preparing for what you will do if you get one is a good idea. Check Youtube, there are several videos about field dressing a deer. You can take the deer to someone to process, but you still have to field dress it yourself.
If you plan on buying a stand, you can get a ladder at Diick's Sporting Goods for under $100 -- pretty much no frills, but they work.
Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

It looks like the tagging info has been provided for you.
As for stands, there are a variety to choose from.
1. Lock-on stands are easily set up and moved if need be. Just be sure it is firmly attached to the tree with the strap or chain provided. Climbing options, can either be screw-in steps, or the use of a climbing stick attached to the tree. I suggest the climbing stick. They are worth the extra cost and are much safer than screw-in steps.
2. A climbing stand is very versatile, as you can put it up quickly, most anywhere, but it does require the right type of tree. If you go this route, I suggest you find a good straight tree and practice going up and down before you go out to hunt. Always make sure you have the 2 separate pieces attached with a length of rope while you are climbing or sitting in the stand.
3. Ladder stands are great, in that they can be placed most anywhere, and on any type of tree. Many people prefer them for the added feeling of security. It is not much different than climbing a regular ladder at home. The difference is that the ladder stand if firmly attached to your tree and cannot move. With the right ladder, you may also have the options of handrails at the sides, footrest, and shooting rest for your gun.
4. Pop-up blinds can be set up very quickly, most anywhere you plan to hunt. Most often, you would want to have it set up and possibly brushed in, in advance to your hunting from it. This gives the deer time to get used to it, just in case it is in an area where it cannot be tucked into the brush or brushed in. If you bow hunt from one, make sure that you get one with enough ceiling height to allow for your bow.

ALWAYS_ALWAYS_ALWAYS wear a safety harness when hunting from an elevated position. Your family, friends, and loved ones are depending on you always thinking safety first. I can't stress this enough.

Be aware of exactly what you are shooting at, and always know what is beyond your target or game. Too many times you read stories about people shooting at movement, only to find that it was a person and not game they were shooting at.

Have fun and great success. If you need to know anything, feel free to ask. We are here to help you.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow Hunting takes a lot more time and patients....You may go for months or years before You finally kill a Deer or You may get lucky and get one the first few times out?Main thing is to stay scent-free,have good cover or a decent climber or ladder stand to hunt out of...and always be careful and safe when Hunting.Be sure to know where to aim and shoot a Deer to make a quick,clean and humane kill!Read as much as possible about Hunting and hopefully You have a Mentor/Fellow Hunter to teach You how to scout for Deer sign,rubs scrapes and so on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.