Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where would you set up

Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default where would you set up

I am going in blind havent scouted a bit I have an idea where im going to hunt but would like to see where you all would hunt on this map.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Spike

What ya shootin with?

Going for Doe? Monster buck? Any buck? Any deer?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Im out for anything its all about meat to me.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

I will be bow hunting in a ground blind
Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Inactive

It's hard to judge distances from that map, but what you are proposing looks good. You might also consider the base of what appears to be a rock outcropping at the 5:00 position from your propsed spot. I'm not a bow hunter, and as I said it's hard to tell distances there. Wish you luck. The area sure looks like it has tremendous possibilities.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Spike

I would say the spot you chose looks okay, very hard to tell from just 1 pic. At least you should be able to have a decent field of vision. Be sure to have at least a couple other spots in mind that you can fall back on though,if you need to. Your going in without having scouted the area first, thats the biggest problem. If you get to your spot and for whatever reason you think it wont be productive, you will want to have a back up or 2 in mind. Keep the wind in your favor, doubly important if your hunting on the ground.

If your hunting from a ground blind that your packing in with you, I would think long and hard about where you place it. Remember your going into the deers back yard and he knows it very well. They will notice if theres a big green lump in the middle of a field that was lumpless the days before. Most deer live in a fairly small territory and know it like the back of their hoofs.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys will see what happens,its public ground have hunted it before even abandon hunting private ground to hunt this place but ive never hunted it this early in the season so i figured there would be some hitting the water hole i aint sure how they will react to the blind but there deer trails are like cattle paths I have missed a lot of deer farther back in the thick timber during the rut hunting with junk equipment and a bent arrowrest (found that out at the end the season) but I have all new equipment this year so its gonna be a good year.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

You see that u- shaped clearing? I would set up shop at the front of that tip facing towards the waters hole. Now, I obviously don't know where the deer are there, but at first glance that's where I would go. Keep in mind the rut is still a ways away, and you really should scout it out when you find the time, even just look for tracks and scrapes.