HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What are your scariest moments while hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/350121-what-your-scariest-moments-while-hunting.html)

trmichels 09-20-2011 11:52 PM

What are your scariest moments while hunting?

One of my scariest experiences was when I was guiding Alan Newcomb, one of the owners of Federal Cartridge Corporation, on an elk hunt in The Salmon River of No Return Wilderness Area of Idaho. I'd seen a grizzly bear scent post trree the day before. My hunters were tired, and slept in, so I thought I'd go out and do some early morning scouting. Realize that I am not allowed to hunt while I guide, so I do not carry a rifle, and I did not have a pistol. All I had was a 3 inch Buck knife.

Anyhow, I was walking through the woods when I heard branches breaking on the ground off to my left, but behind me. Knowing it could be a bear, the hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I got more than a little nervous. I never found out what it was (possibly a pine squirrel droping pine cones from the top of a tree), but I learned how "crowded" it can get when there is only you and a grizz in the same valley.

I've guided in Colorado and seen Mountain Lion tracks that were made the night before (I know because it rained the day before), and in New Mexcico when I was guiding Bud Gant, coach of the Minnesota Vikings, and my horse spooked at a Lion in the dark one evening, and never got scared.

I've hunted both New Mexico and Minnesota for bear, or hunted deer in wolf and bear teritory, and I do sometimes get jumpy as I walk in to a stand in the dark. You really should talk to yourself or whistle when you scout or walk to a stand in the dark when are predator hunting - so you don't accidentally run into an animal, but if you do it, you may spook the animal you want to hunt. So, it is up to you.

One other time, when I was instructing students at a guide school in Wyoming, I was leading a string of six pack horses along the side of a very steep mountain just south of Yellowstone Park. The second horse in line decided he wanted to walk on a trail that was about 5 yards below the trail I was on. He went down to the trail, dragging the third horse along, which stumbled, and dragged the rest of the string with it.

I was afraid the whole string would loose their footing and roll down the steep mountainside. All I could think of doing was to hang on to the first horses lead rope, head my horse up hill and rake it with my spurs as hard as I could, hoping my arm did not give out, and that the first horse would help me pull the other 5 horses back up on the upper trail. And that is just what happened.

It so happened that the guide school owner Bud Neslon, was right behind me and saw the whole thing. He told me later that he had never seen anything like it, and that I saved him thousands of dollars in what could have been dead or injured horses and lost or ruined camp gear. He was very thankful.

I guess the worst scare I had was when I was guiding and had my 8 year old son along. The duck boat flipped over, and even though he had a life preserver on, I was still very worried about him. When I found I could stand in chest deep water, I pushed him up on the overturned boat. It was a cold ride home for both of us.

The scariest thing I can remember, is when my good friend and well known owner of Lobo Outfitters (and absolutely the best elk outfitter in North America) Dick Ray, out of Chama New Mexico, who I used to guide elk hunts for, went into an enclosure to feed one of his pet bears. He owned a wildlife park south of Pagosa Springs, Colorado, and a TV station had come in to shoot some video and talk about bears that were raiding garbaige cans in town due to poor forage that year.

Dick went into the enclosure with Cubby, a 500 pound black bear he had hand-raised from a cub, and was going to feed him, when Cubby attacked him. Normaly Dick would have hit the bear on the nose, but because the camera was rolling he did not want to get accused of animal cruelty. Because he did not exert authrotity over Cubby, the bear kept coming, and when he got Dick (who is all of 5 foot 4 inches and weighs about 125 pounds) on the ground, the bear grabbed him right between the legs, sinking his teeth into the pelvic bone just above Dick's genitalia.

I'd sent my friend and fellow camouflage designer Jim Crumley, designer and owner of the first hunting camouflage "Trebark", to hunt elk with Dick that year. But, Dick was unable to guide Jim because he was in the hospital. So Jim hunted with Dick's son Mike. When I got there later that year to guide, Dick told me what had happened, and showed me the scar he had.

I did not see the video until it was shown on "America's Most Dangerous Animals" a few months later. And it has been shown several times since. If you have a chance - watch it, it is the only "black bear grabbing a small guy in a black cowboy hat" video - that I know of.

I don't know about you guys, but I would have been scared to death if I was charged by a 500 pound bear, especially when it sunk its teeth into my crotch, and I thought I might loose my manhood.

What were your scariest times while hunting?

sarge4 09-21-2011 07:26 AM

My scariest moment would have to be compliment's of my good hunting buddies! Joking and pranks were usually high on the list of our things to do. I deserved everything that came my way so I couldn't be mad at all. I had ridden my atv to my destination and proceded to walk a good ways further in. I hunted the evening and came out. My 4 wheeler was not to be found. Poor preperation on my part left me with only a bobo flashlight that attached to the bill of my hat. After lookin all around I decided someone from another lease must have snuck in and stolen my ride. The keys were in it along with my brand new skb bow case, they stole it all. I was pissed. So me, my bow and my $4 flashlight start the trek back. This was one of my first hunts in black bear country and the woods are totally different at night versus the NC woods I'm used to. I was absolutely scared to death with no protection but stick and string! Every 30 or 40 yards I kept thinking I was close to a bear. Stopping and standing behind a tree till I was certain nothing was there. Finally I made it back to camp and to much surprise there sit my ride with my bow case! They had ridden double in, jumped on my atv and drove it back. I was out of earshot and heard nothing. I was greeted with laughs, they were greeted with a finger gesture as I had just endured the longest and scariest walks of my life! I am sure I deserved all this but sure didnt want to admit it. From now on my key is in my pocket and I haven't decided the perfect payback. It was definetly the longest hunt of my life!!

trmichels 09-21-2011 08:09 AM

You know what they say, "Payback's are a ... lot of fun".

countertop 09-21-2011 08:35 AM

My two scariest moments both happened on the same day - January 20, 2009.

It was cold as hell that morning, and we went out to go duck hunting. Got the boat in the water, with ost of it resting on the ice. My buddy was driving the boat, I was walking alongside it on the ice, alternating between an ax and a sledge hammer, trying to break the ice and get out to the moving water in the channel. We finally get out on the river, but the ice flows kept taking our decoys down stream. Plus, we couldn't call any birds it. Driving up the river some, I spotted birds through some trees on the other side of an island. We stopped the boat, getting out with the idea my lab would use his upland skills to flush the ducks so we could shoot and retrieve them. But that was not to be. Following in my buddies footsteps, I took two steps and BOOM, the ice opens up and I fall straight down, luckily catching myself on my shotgun, with the ice cold river water about 1/2 an inch below the top of my waders.

Needless to say, once I got out and back to the boat, we just turned around and headed home.

OH, the second scariest moment . . . Obama was inaugurated that morning.

trmichels 09-21-2011 12:34 PM

When you think about it, and I've had about 45 years to think about it, duck hunting may be one of the most dangerous hunting sports there is. You are often out there in sub-freezing temperatures, or high winds on water or ice, where the boat can capsize, the ice break or you can fall in and die of hypthermia or get frost bitten, wearing waders that can fill up with water that will suck you down if you cannot get them off. And many of you forget to wear a life jacket, or dress warmly enough, and if you go in, you may not be able to use a cell phone to call anyonhe, you may be stuck thelr with only your wits and common sense to help you out, and those are two of the first things to go - if you are suffering hypothermia. Many of us also hunt alone, with no one close by to help if problems do occur.

You can also die of a heart attack, exposure, or get shot - by careless hunter.

Please be careful out there, wear appropriate clothing and bring along any possible gear needed, expect the unexpected, and be prepared for it, do not hunt alone, and tell your family or friends where to find you if you are late.

I often hunt alone, but my wife and children know all of the roads around my entire 5000 acres of deer and turkey hunting land, and the farm roads I usually park on when in partifcular areas. So, if I am late they first go out to look for the Suburban, then use a car horn, whistle or elk bugle to try and locate me. If they do not find me, and I'm over 3 hours late, they know they need to contact my hunting friends in the area, and call the sheriff.

Better safe than sorry, and better for others - knowing than worrying.

God bless,

T.R.

WNYhunter 09-21-2011 10:33 PM

my scariest moment happened a few years ago. I had my oldest son out on his first opening day of our gun deer season. we hunt private land and a few locals there were not happy about us having permission. I was in a treestand and he was on the ground 50 yards down the hill from me. And then the shooting started. Not shooting at a deer but someone shot 20-30 times pretty much non stop and the bullets were hitting all around us. I yelled to my son to get behind a tree and I headed down the stand and took cover. The whole time I am whistleing and yelling and I finally had to fire a round in the dirt to get them to stop. I don't think it was done on purpose and I never found out who did it. But when you see bullets hit 10 yards from you thats bad enough but imagine having a front row seat to them hitting around your child. yea, that by far is my scariest moment.

trmichels 09-22-2011 11:11 AM

I had something very similar happen one time when I was duck hunting. We had "permission" on the other side of a slough, where some rich people had paid to put in a pit on a strip of land. When we kept decoying "their ducks" and killing them - they started firing around us.

I can't help the fact that I choose good locations for decoys, set decoys out pretty darn well, and am a pretty darn good duck caller. It is part of being a guide - and part of being a good hunter.

Seif5034 09-22-2011 10:33 PM

When I was about 14 I was out deer hunting with my dad on some public land. Conditions for deer were fairly poor that day so we figured we'd check our sights in a field for a minute and head back into town. Dad parked the truck and we were getting our rifles loaded and some improvised targets out of the bed of the truck. (coke bottles). Just as I was finishing loading my rifle I heard a shot go off right next to me. and I saw that my dad had accidently discharged his 30-30 into the dirt about 4 inches in front of his boot.

Another is while trekking in to our ground blinds my dad had a tendency to trip over deadfall with a 12ga slug gun in hand. Usually carried 1 in the tube with the saftey on. Even with the saftey it made me nervous that someone may catch a stray slug.

trmichels 09-23-2011 02:04 AM

I forgot about the day when I was der hujtng right after a big freezing rain storm. The forzen rain ahd actually broken off the tree my sgtawnd was in, about 6 feet above the stand. So, I decided to so some still hunting - until trees started crashing down around me. It was - unnerving to say the least. I quickly got out ot the woods and drove home.

StealthHtr22 09-23-2011 06:31 AM

Two years ago, I was on an evening hunt out of my climber. I was about 25 feet....

Once the sun went down and darkness hit I decided it was time to climb down as I always do. I lower my bow, strap in my feet, and remove my harness from the tree for the quick climb down. I picked my feet up to lower my platform, and the nylon strap going over the from of my boots, broke and the platform fell about 8 - 10 feet down the tree before it caught...Just far enough there was no way for me to get to it. I pulled myself up to sit on my little 2 inch wide bar (facing the tree), held on as I was able to call a buddy to come and climb up underneath me, and bring the platform back up to where I was stuck.

I sat there for about 30-40 minutes in the dark on that little bar before he got to me. I wasn't exactly excited to be in that situation.

doetrain 09-23-2011 06:43 AM

When using my climber once the bottom section sliped and gave me a scare,I was in a hurry and got careless,don't plan on ever doing that again. I must admit sometimes walking to my spot gives me the creaps when my mind plays tricks on me and i think something is following me in the woods. You seem to hear and see things at that time of the day which are magnified in your mind and therefore spook ya a bit. The thought of a couger,pack of wild dogs or any rabid animal being there is in the back of your mind. I at least cary a knife if Bow hunting or gun to have a chance in close combat with a critter.

trmichels 09-23-2011 07:40 AM

Living her in Minnesota, we do have wolves, black bears and an ocassional mountain lion, lots of ccoyotes, plous I"ve hnted in the rockies where ther ewere grizzlies , in a lest two states.

Whwn you elk hunt the rockies, you often here things going bump in the dark, fog or low light, usually it is apin squirrel throwign pine cones off a tree - it cfan soudn just like and elk walking. But, only that one time in Idaho did i get really nervous about a predator being out there.

I guess I figure I'm too stringy and tough to eat, and I can put up a pretty good fight with a buck knife, or at 160# I can climb a tree.

shottyhunter24 09-23-2011 08:41 AM

Duck hunting with my buddies...there were 4 of us and 2 were in a boat out on the pond while i was with another person....we were in this little choke spot where two ridges funnel to a marsh so theres some open water....we hear some ducks flying off in the distance and they fly right in between the 2 guys on the pond and my buddy and i in the choke......well my buddy in the boat decided to shot......i felt pellets hit my wading jacket and around the weeds around me....needless to say he got his gun privilages taken away for that weekend.

bushanic 09-23-2011 04:51 PM

I am a die hard Archery hunter and love to be in the woods anytime I can. Back in 09 there was a big front coming in from the southeast part of VA. I look forward to hunting a front it really get the deer up and moving.I looked at the forecast,it looked like rain would come in a little after 10am and rain most of the day. I have no problem setting in a stand in the rain,you never what might walk by.

That morning I get up and turn the weather channel on and see the rain will move in early then I hoped for,but I decide to go anyway.I have a 45minute ride to the property and on the way I drive though some lite showers to drizzle. I start telling myself this will get the Deer moving before the big stuff come in.

I arrive at the property with plenty of time to get me and my climber up a tree it"s not to far of a walk about 600yds. If i remember right it about 4:30am,sunrise is around 6:45/7am. I get out of the truck,no rain,no drizzle and the temps are nice with a lite breezes. The wind is not the best for this spot but I figure it will change direction though out the day. I work my way down the side of this ridge to my tree around 5:30,still the weather is holding off and the wind are swirling which play into my favor.

Thoughts of a great day are running though my head has I head up the tree,maybe that big 8 pointer will come by or some of his friend. If I set all day I will take a Doe in the end of day,but no a nice Buck will reward me for my efforts.

Its 6?am by the time I settle in for a great day in the woods with hopes of seeing a few Deer. A short time latter the wind picks up a little here and there. I am right in that time of morning where you can just see but cant really make anything out. You know what I mean the time when you think you see something moving. Is that a Deer? What is that? You look harder into the darkness trying to make out the shape of a Deers body but it never materialized. Right at this point I start to feel the wind pick up,now the tree in starting to move around a bit. I will tell this I can take a tree going right to left all day long and a little forward and back not much but I can deal with it. The only problem is that I cant really see the other tree around me But I can feel I am moving pretty good. I start to get this feeling that I might need to start climbing down but I tell myself not to be a wimp and stay it will clam down. Well it doesnt and now its not getting any lighter out if anything its getting darker. Now the tree is really moving, my day pack is even moving around because of the tree" movement. Okay I will get to the hell of the story. The wind become deafening the lighting is scaring the hell out of me and I still have 25feet to climb down with out killing myself. I drop my day pack tried my bow off to the climber and said a to myself I should have stay home. I really don't remember climbing down but I do remember running with just my bow back to my truck where i sat think how close I came to being in big trouble. The storm went on for about 1 hour when it pasted I went back in to get my stuff. There were 3 trees down around the tree I was in,it was still standing with a few limbs gone that would have taken me out with no problem.The weather channel showed a microburst went right over me.I still like to hunt a good front but I have become a better weather man because of that day.

GlouGlou 09-23-2011 07:24 PM

I was out scouting for turkeys for the next morning on my property. I have a path that goes though my woods. Its +-30 minutes after sunset and almost completely dark.

So I am walking on my path in the woods and out of the woods and onto the path, less that 20ft in front of me ... I hear "Crack" and a massive moose comes out. Pretty sure it was a mature female S/he was basically scared of me and went the other direction.

Needless to say my heart essentially skipped a beat!

trs 09-24-2011 09:20 PM

It happened to me last year on Halloween morning. I was walking into my hunting spot in the dark and some prankster loaded up about twenty trees with reflective tacks perfectly spaced apart like sets of eyes. I think my heart skipped a couple beats as I panned the area and it looked like 20 guys where standing just off the trail staring at me with glowing eyes. After that I couldn't get to and up my tree fast enough.

trmichels 09-25-2011 04:33 AM

Those are very interesting stories, ones I can use in an articl,.Thansk guys, i'm looking forward to more stories.

God bless all of you,

T.R.

Deepsouthdeerjunky 09-25-2011 08:20 AM

when i was 9 yrs old we use to be in a lease of a property that bumped rite up against the edge of... well the ghetto. There was one house inparticular that always seemed to have a party goin on. It was my first time goin bowhunting with my Dad so me and him went to sit on a greenfield that was about 80 yrds from the main road, and just on the other side of that road was the "party house". We got to the field and climbed up the ladder to reach the small platform built up between two split portions of the tree. I sat faceing my dad with about three feet inbetween our faces. At about 430 that afternoon the party across the road promptly began. and by 5 they had decided it would be a good idea to start poppin of shots with a .22 into the woods. about then me and my father heard the wizz of bullets fly threw the trees then not one but two buzzed between my and my dads head, one stricking the railing of the platform! Needless to say we got outta there pretty quick. Never hunted that stand on a weekend hunt again...

deerdust 09-25-2011 02:02 PM

I spend a lot of time in the woods, and know that the states we hunt in has mountain lions. It has never been a concern to me when I am out though. We have even had hunters report seeing them from the stand in Ne and Mo. As few as there are I have never worried about it. I would be more worried about crossing paths with a badger, since I know they are in Mo. lol

About 6 years ago, after the Iowa season had ended, I stayed to pull climbing sticks from the trees. It had been an exceptionally brutal winter and there was ice and snow on the ground. The property I was on was pasture and would have cattle on it after we were gone for the year. The property was fenced with barbed wire to keep the cattle in, and I was traveling along this fence line. I had made it up the hill fine on my Polaris 400 (old yeller, I called it). Coming down in a different spot, I tried to stay where there were some bare patches in the ice. All seemed fine the 1st quarter way down, and the bare spots were all behind me. Now on all ice I went into a spin, that no matter how hard I tried couldn't come out of. I knew there was a low spot that was slushy before I would hit the barbed wire fence at the bottom. I Thank God it was there. That and the Lord having other plans for me, is what save my caboose. My fear, was that if I had hit the fence and cut myself up or worse, was that no one knew where I was. All of my guides had gone home, and only the lodge owner knew I was still in the area. Kind of scary thing you could be injured and dying, and no one would know where to come look for you before you froze to death.

SecondChance 09-25-2011 02:47 PM

My scariest moment so far is this past Feb. I took my dad, son and brother on a 3 generation/family hog hunt in OK. We had a drive going on and a group of hogs were coming our way. My son, 21yrs old, 6'-4", 240#, liined up on a huge Russian/RazorBack boar coming his way. He shoots over its back on 1st shot, breaks its hind right hip on 2nd shot, then it bears right down on him as he shoots his last shot to only pierce its right ear lobe. I am about 10 feet behind/beside him as he screams he is out of shells!!!!
He was shooting a 20ga slug gun. He had more slugs in his pocket, but has never had to do a tactical emergency reload before. I had my 7mm BR single shot pistol with me and my .45 Kimber on my hip with 200grn Encapsulated Match FMJ's. I drop my 7mm pistol, draw my .45 as my son jumps left towards a tree as the hog gets to him, passes him to only run into a double tap in the forehead. The hog drops dead 8 feet from my son standing behind a tree trunk. My dad was about 40 yds behind/above us on a ridge shaking worse then us for he thought he was going to see us ran over or slashed.
My son found out first hand about how much lead they can take and still go. That slug shattered its hip, but was still able to run like it was never hit. Thats the closest I have ever came to having a really bad day hunting.
Now my son understand why we train as much as we do and how we do what we do. I pays off once in awhile and not always at work.

naildriver2 09-25-2011 04:14 PM

When I was around 20 or so a friend and I went to hunt a piece of their property for the first time. We drove down a lane that divided the property from the neighbors. We parked and my friend showed me where to go. I had just put my climer on a tree when bouncin down the lane then across the field comes a truck really fast. Once to me the neighbor runs up,starts screaming at me about being on his ground. After about a minute of his yelling I tell him I know I'm on the right ground. He tells me I'm tresspassing and he has the right to shoot tresspassers,pulls out a 45 from his waist and points it right at me. So here I sit in my climber about 2 foot of the ground my gun unloaded below me, figuring I was gonna die. He was all wild lookin and really mad. Asked me if I had any last words. I told him my friend said the fence is 50 yards further from me. He looked over his shoulder and told me it was right there. I asked him if he jumped it or drove through it cause I did not remember a fence. The wild look kinda went outta his face then he looked around like lookin for a fence, walked to his truck and left. I did'nt know what to do so I hunted till dark. Told the sherriff when we got into town but nothin ever came of it.

sussexhunter 09-26-2011 11:07 AM

had to take a poop so bad I knew I wouldnt make it down the tree. leaned over the side and mid poop the whole stand dropped and shifted about a foot. good thing my pants were already down or I really would have **** myself! haha

deerdust 09-26-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sussexhunter (Post 3852925)
had to take a poop so bad I knew I wouldnt make it down the tree. leaned over the side and mid poop the whole stand dropped and shifted about a foot. good thing my pants were already down or I really would have **** myself! haha

I know someone who carries a gallon ziplock bag just for this purpose. That way he never has to leave his stand. That wouldn't help with your stand falling though. Sounds like you need to do a bit of stand maintenance before you get in the next one.

xGREENx 09-27-2011 05:47 AM

my scariest moment happens about once a week every year. I take the long hike out to my Tree stand in the morning, and when i finally get to my tree stand pepe le pew himself will be standing at my bait pile. I dont know about you guys but skunks terrify me. Ive thought about shooting it, but i figure that wont do any good because ill get the stink on me either way. so i just leave him and walk about a 30 yard circle out of the way to get to my stand.

Mojotex 09-27-2011 07:29 PM

Several years ago, I was on the move trying to close the distance between me and a Tom roost gobbling his brains out. I was standing near a small creek in a flat bottom, right at good seeing light on a cool April morning... just happened to look down and saw that I was straddling a wad of forearm diameter moccasin. Never tried to strike. I am guessing that it was still very sluggish in the cool of the near dawn ... and of course I had not stepped on it. I just hopped back as far as I could and took another path !!! And I never caught up with that darned gobbler.

StealthHtr22 09-27-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sussexhunter (Post 3852925)

Originally Posted by deerdust (Post 3852937)
I know someone who carries a gallon ziplock bag just for this purpose. That way he never has to leave his stand. That wouldn't help with your stand falling though. Sounds like you need to do a bit of stand maintenance before you get in the next one.

:lmao::lolabove:
OMG Tell me you're joking DeerDust? That's gross...the next thing you'll tell me is when this someone is cold then he puts the ziplock bag inside his jacket afterwards for warmth!

Can you imagine walking up on someone doing business in a plastic bag 20 feet off the ground? Geez that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and should be noted not to list this in the top ten tips. Ha.

trmichels 09-28-2011 01:36 AM

MOJO- I think you win the prize for "The Scariest Moment when Deer HUnting"

I've heard of people using zip loc bags or a hospital urinal to whizz in while they are in a tree. I suppose you could just turn around and let it fly if you had to take a dump, but I've been told that the smell of droppings from a meat eater (us humans who hunt) might spook a deer. I don't know, I've never compared the smell of them.

deerdust 09-28-2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22 (Post 3853671)
:lmao::lolabove:
OMG Tell me you're joking DeerDust? That's gross...the next thing you'll tell me is when this someone is cold then he puts the ziplock bag inside his jacket afterwards for warmth!

lol Stealth I am dead serious. As to what he does to stay warm, I have no idea. lmao He would love seeing that I am posting it to the world to see. hahahaha No names tho. A bunch of us always give him heck about it. But his claims that he never has to come down and disturb the deer and the bag keeps the smell contained. If anyone tries this, I suggest triple or quadruple bag it for safety. lmao

StealthHtr22 09-28-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by deerdust (Post 3853811)
lol Stealth I am dead serious. As to what he does to stay warm, I have no idea. lmao He would love seeing that I am posting it to the world to see. hahahaha No names tho. A bunch of us always give him heck about it. But his claims that he never has to come down and disturb the deer and the bag keeps the smell contained. If anyone tries this, I suggest triple or quadruple bag it for safety. lmao

Ha yeah understandable! No name needed!

SavageArms 09-28-2011 10:52 AM

Two notes for those who seek revenge you must remember to dig two graves and payback is a dish better served cold.

SavageArms 09-28-2011 11:05 AM

My scariest moment in my hunting career so far has been when after a long night of hanging out at Deer Camp, waking up super early and tired and getting in my stand about an hour before start time of course I did not load my gun at this time thank god. So I was in my stand dosing off and I may have dosed off for about a minute and then heard something rustling around in the leaves it startled me a little because I do not like to dose off in the treestand due to the fact I did not have a harness and I would always think if you fall asleep you might fall well about that time my gun slipped off the treestand arm, well I caught it... by the barrel, in any case I learned to two lessons that day never load the gun until you know you can stay awake and the second is buy a safety harness just in case I did ever fall out of the stand, I now own a HSS and I have learned to stay awake partly due to the fact that I hate dosing off and the fact I missed a chance to take an 8 point buck last year because I was dosing off.