HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What are your scariest moments while hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/350121-what-your-scariest-moments-while-hunting.html)

naildriver2 09-25-2011 04:14 PM

When I was around 20 or so a friend and I went to hunt a piece of their property for the first time. We drove down a lane that divided the property from the neighbors. We parked and my friend showed me where to go. I had just put my climer on a tree when bouncin down the lane then across the field comes a truck really fast. Once to me the neighbor runs up,starts screaming at me about being on his ground. After about a minute of his yelling I tell him I know I'm on the right ground. He tells me I'm tresspassing and he has the right to shoot tresspassers,pulls out a 45 from his waist and points it right at me. So here I sit in my climber about 2 foot of the ground my gun unloaded below me, figuring I was gonna die. He was all wild lookin and really mad. Asked me if I had any last words. I told him my friend said the fence is 50 yards further from me. He looked over his shoulder and told me it was right there. I asked him if he jumped it or drove through it cause I did not remember a fence. The wild look kinda went outta his face then he looked around like lookin for a fence, walked to his truck and left. I did'nt know what to do so I hunted till dark. Told the sherriff when we got into town but nothin ever came of it.

sussexhunter 09-26-2011 11:07 AM

had to take a poop so bad I knew I wouldnt make it down the tree. leaned over the side and mid poop the whole stand dropped and shifted about a foot. good thing my pants were already down or I really would have **** myself! haha

deerdust 09-26-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sussexhunter (Post 3852925)
had to take a poop so bad I knew I wouldnt make it down the tree. leaned over the side and mid poop the whole stand dropped and shifted about a foot. good thing my pants were already down or I really would have **** myself! haha

I know someone who carries a gallon ziplock bag just for this purpose. That way he never has to leave his stand. That wouldn't help with your stand falling though. Sounds like you need to do a bit of stand maintenance before you get in the next one.

xGREENx 09-27-2011 05:47 AM

my scariest moment happens about once a week every year. I take the long hike out to my Tree stand in the morning, and when i finally get to my tree stand pepe le pew himself will be standing at my bait pile. I dont know about you guys but skunks terrify me. Ive thought about shooting it, but i figure that wont do any good because ill get the stink on me either way. so i just leave him and walk about a 30 yard circle out of the way to get to my stand.

Mojotex 09-27-2011 07:29 PM

Several years ago, I was on the move trying to close the distance between me and a Tom roost gobbling his brains out. I was standing near a small creek in a flat bottom, right at good seeing light on a cool April morning... just happened to look down and saw that I was straddling a wad of forearm diameter moccasin. Never tried to strike. I am guessing that it was still very sluggish in the cool of the near dawn ... and of course I had not stepped on it. I just hopped back as far as I could and took another path !!! And I never caught up with that darned gobbler.

StealthHtr22 09-27-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sussexhunter (Post 3852925)

Originally Posted by deerdust (Post 3852937)
I know someone who carries a gallon ziplock bag just for this purpose. That way he never has to leave his stand. That wouldn't help with your stand falling though. Sounds like you need to do a bit of stand maintenance before you get in the next one.

:lmao::lolabove:
OMG Tell me you're joking DeerDust? That's gross...the next thing you'll tell me is when this someone is cold then he puts the ziplock bag inside his jacket afterwards for warmth!

Can you imagine walking up on someone doing business in a plastic bag 20 feet off the ground? Geez that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and should be noted not to list this in the top ten tips. Ha.

trmichels 09-28-2011 01:36 AM

MOJO- I think you win the prize for "The Scariest Moment when Deer HUnting"

I've heard of people using zip loc bags or a hospital urinal to whizz in while they are in a tree. I suppose you could just turn around and let it fly if you had to take a dump, but I've been told that the smell of droppings from a meat eater (us humans who hunt) might spook a deer. I don't know, I've never compared the smell of them.

deerdust 09-28-2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22 (Post 3853671)
:lmao::lolabove:
OMG Tell me you're joking DeerDust? That's gross...the next thing you'll tell me is when this someone is cold then he puts the ziplock bag inside his jacket afterwards for warmth!

lol Stealth I am dead serious. As to what he does to stay warm, I have no idea. lmao He would love seeing that I am posting it to the world to see. hahahaha No names tho. A bunch of us always give him heck about it. But his claims that he never has to come down and disturb the deer and the bag keeps the smell contained. If anyone tries this, I suggest triple or quadruple bag it for safety. lmao

StealthHtr22 09-28-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by deerdust (Post 3853811)
lol Stealth I am dead serious. As to what he does to stay warm, I have no idea. lmao He would love seeing that I am posting it to the world to see. hahahaha No names tho. A bunch of us always give him heck about it. But his claims that he never has to come down and disturb the deer and the bag keeps the smell contained. If anyone tries this, I suggest triple or quadruple bag it for safety. lmao

Ha yeah understandable! No name needed!

SavageArms 09-28-2011 10:52 AM

Two notes for those who seek revenge you must remember to dig two graves and payback is a dish better served cold.