HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Defrosting Venison (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/350074-defrosting-venison.html)

the blur 09-20-2011 09:58 AM

Defrosting Venison

How long can you leave defrosted Venison in the fridge ?, (before cooking it)

Terasec 09-20-2011 10:21 AM

standard is 2-3 days,
but can vary
say 2-7 days
how well the venison was prepared before freezing,
faster it was frozen from harvest, less bacteria on it to start growing after defrosting
also the cut, less surface area, less area for bacteria to hold and grow,
hence why ground usually goes bad faster as it has lots of surface area, and in contact with lots of surfaces and such

7.62NATO 09-20-2011 12:47 PM

I freeze everything I'm not going to consume in a week right away. When I'm ready to use it, I let it thaw in the bottom drawer of the fridge for about 7-10 days. It's usually thawed by day 3, but then it ages over the 4-7. The taste and texture has improved greatly since I started doing it like that.

freebirdfb 09-20-2011 03:50 PM

As Muley said typically 7-10 days answers your question, but there are 3 sanitary ways for defrosting any meat
1. Pulling it out of the freezer 2-3 days before you plan to use it, but try to use it within 10 days of pulling it out of the freezer as the first couple of days is thawing.
2. Make sure it is in a water proof bag and place it in a pot under running COLD water. (Used if the meat isn't thawed out or when you forgot to pul it out.) I like to thaw it partially and then stick it in the fridge as bacteria reproduces itself every 15 minutes. I might have to repeat before using.
3. Used as a last resort, microwave defrost.

kyslayer 09-20-2011 04:05 PM

honestly the only way i like to defrost is in the fridge. Its actually not a good practice to defrost meat with heat

Scottdnramember 09-20-2011 04:40 PM

This is what we do

We regularly defrost in a small bar sink empty the same day as we cook. The frozen meat turns the sink into a cooler of sorts and you can defrost a 2# package of ground in a few hours to cook up for dinner or other cuts for whatever. once thawed it goes into the fridge or gets cooked right away. (normally cooked right away) If I am in a hurry to thaw, I'll add cold water as it acts as a heat sync(Sink?) of sorts and thaws a bit faster.

All my meat is frozen quick with no aging most vaccume packed, ground packed tight and burped in ziplock bags.

Manwhich tonight with it! We got 6 last year as a team and eat venison regularly.

Also for Jerky I use a plastic tub (Like for drying dishes) and put in 10# (5 - 2# packs) to thaw the same way, then as soon as thawed, mix up the spices, in the fridge to mariniade overnight and in the dehydrator. for Chilli, same thing. The tub keeps meat cool and allows for a steady (And fairly fast) defrost without meat getting warm.

Meat never gets warm until cook time. I think that is the most important. I don't plan meals days in advance normally so a faster thaw method is important for us.

Aflores2726 05-30-2016 06:01 PM

Help

I took my deer meat out since Friday I had to leave out of town didn't come back till today (sunday) I was wondering can i still put it in the freezer even if I had left it in the fridge

kellyguinn 06-02-2016 10:47 AM

Room temperature meat cooks up better and more evenly also. I always leave it out of the fridge for a few hours if I can. I have never tried it with deer but a great way to cook beef steaks is to season before freezing then cook in oven on broil from a frozen state. This seals in all the juices and you can cook a frozen steak in 20 min.

Oldtimr 06-02-2016 11:18 AM

Meat can safely be defrosted in the fridge and in a sink full of cold water, never use warm water. Allowing meat to come to room temp for 45 minutes to an hour before it is cooked but is fine and the meat will cook better than if it was still cold, but letting it sit out for several hours is not a good practice and risks bacteria growing in the meat.

bronko22000 06-02-2016 03:46 PM

I've left it in the frig for 3-4 days already. But mine us vacuum sealed.