Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I Feel For You Guys Down South >

I Feel For You Guys Down South

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I Feel For You Guys Down South

Old 09-20-2011, 04:12 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default I Feel For You Guys Down South

Was out last night, up in N. WI. Temps in the 70's and bugs all over. Setting up my ground blind I got all sweated up. Fortunately, I am not phased by mosquitoes (to a point) and as such did not mind getting bit up all over. But you folks down south must have it way worse with the heat and bugs. Up north, it will often cool down from 70 to 40 or even colder so you must also bring along a heavy coat. And what is problematic is that you often will have to put on that heavy coat just at about the time the deer are moving when it starts out hot. Looking forward to cooler temps, which won't be long. Heck, we even had a touch of sleet last week.

I passed up a shot at a deer with entire body facing right toward me - for 10 minutes or more it would not turn broadside and I think it was on to me in my blind. Such a shot would have almost certainly been a gut shot, if I would have gotten the deer at all.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Spike

What county are you in? And what else have you been seeing?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I am up in Bayfield Cty. Truthfully, not seeing a whole lot. Have a doe and two small (still lightly spotted) fawns visiting my food plot. And saw this small buck in nearby Brule River State Forest yesterday (and no other deer). There have been way too many $2 harvest tags issued in the past few years. Now, Zone 3 (Port Wing) is buck only and no harvest tags this year in any zones of our area, which makes me glad. Hopefully the population will bounce back in a year or two. I see very few deer in the nearby fields near dark - maybe 2 or 3 where as I used to see 10-15 in the same fields.

Last edited by MZS; 09-20-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is why I wear a 3D bug suit and my turkey face mask,they can't get to me for the most part except buzzing around my eyes some.But I find the bugs arn't to bad here where I hunt compared to areas like you guys hunt. Our season starts Oct. 1 so that helps in the morning hours for sure,the evenings after the time change are short for me so after work I get maybe an hour or hour and a half to hunt.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Bemidji, most of the bugs are gone because of two cold below freezing nights. But everything is still green so grouse opener was very uneventful.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Works out pretty good as I feel sorry for you guys with your short seasons and small bag limits...

A Thermacell will solve the problems with bugs...
Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Yeah, I think more people feel sorry for us than the other way around, especially in mid-march when temps are still going below zero and we are still getting blizzards. And I have heard of the bag limits down south. Smaller deer but many more of them.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

A Thermacell will solve the problems with bugs...
nchawkeye is offline Report Post Reply With Quote NC you're right. Thermacell does the trick.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Yep hot weather and bugs is the normanl for me.Bring out the thermacell.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

On the plus side of warmer weather - the bow shoots dead on. First I have heard of a thermocell - just looked it up. Pretty cool invention! Probably won't need one for hunting but it might be nice to have in the summer when fishing. Mostly our "Thermo Cells" for hunting look like http://www.wisehunters.com/store/ima...nd_warmers.jpg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.