Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What scents are you using this year - pre-rut scent v. rut scent >

What scents are you using this year - pre-rut scent v. rut scent

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What scents are you using this year - pre-rut scent v. rut scent

Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I'm considering not using any scents this year, but it is very tempting. If I do, I'll probably use the Code Blue buck urine at the start of the season and the estrous doe during the rut.

Tampons work just as well as those expensive scent wick things you buy. I steal them from my wife The first time she saw me taking them, she asked if there was something she should know about.

Be sure to use the lightest ones...the heavy ones are too thick. Also, tampons absorb a lot more liquid than the scent wicks, so just be mindful of that and don't soak up too much so you don't run out too quickly. I open up a bunch and keep them in a plastic bag so I'm not tearing them out of their wrappers while in the woods. I also pre-tie a loop knot on the string thing so I can hang it from a branch. I may cut them down a little bit too to make them less absorbent.

Feeling manly about this!!
How do I go about placing them? Should I hang them from a tree branch? How high? Do i put them on a well traveled trail, or right next to it? Should I just place a single on in a shooting lane, or do I need to walk through the woods and lay down a trail of them for deer to follow to my stand?