Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What scents are you using this year - pre-rut scent v. rut scent >

What scents are you using this year - pre-rut scent v. rut scent

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What scents are you using this year - pre-rut scent v. rut scent

Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default What scents are you using this year - pre-rut scent v. rut scent

I am going to use deer dander on my boot soles all season, I've read a lot of good things about it.

As for the rut, I am planning on using tinks 69. Will my bottles from previous years still work, or do I need to buy new every year? Seems like it would break down or smell different given what its made from. If I buy new, is there any way to guarantee it isn't leftover stock from last year?

What are yall using?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I'll use nothing pre-rut, and Tinks 69 during the rut. I throw the Tinks away after the season, and just take my chances on it being fresh when I buy.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

I use Wildlife research special golden estrus and it comes with a use by date, I am not sure about Tinks though.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Never really used scents, but have a new piece of property and was planning to do so this fall. How do you go about using them? Is there a good primer somewhere on the web to review?

I've heard about folks making mock scapes, and also that people take cotton balls (or tampons) and soak them in the scent and hang them from trees. Does that work? Where should I look at doing that? What's the difference in the different brands? I also saw incense type sents sold at Cabelas. Do they work?

The one time I purchased scents I was hunting in the GW National Forest and picked up at the gas station at the highway exit a package of scent vials that you poped open and stuck in the ground. There were 6 of them. Put them out, never saw a deer.

Oh well.

I'd like to be a bit more strategic about it this year. Any thoughts or advice?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
I am going to use deer dander on my boot soles all season, I've read a lot of good things about it.

As for the rut, I am planning on using tinks 69. Will my bottles from previous years still work, or do I need to buy new every year? Seems like it would break down or smell different given what its made from. If I buy new, is there any way to guarantee it isn't leftover stock from last year?

What are yall using?
+1 for deer Dander! Works great as a cover / attractant scent all year round.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

old spice deoderant and head and shoulders shampoo.......and hunters specialties natural doe urine for rut huntin'
Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Fork Horn

Deer dander... i've had them follow my footsteps right up to the base of my tree with this stuff.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm considering not using any scents this year, but it is very tempting. If I do, I'll probably use the Code Blue buck urine at the start of the season and the estrous doe during the rut.

Originally Posted by countertop
Never really used scents, but have a new piece of property and was planning to do so this fall. How do you go about using them? Is there a good primer somewhere on the web to review?

I've heard about folks making mock scapes, and also that people take cotton balls (or tampons) and soak them in the scent and hang them from trees.
Tampons work just as well as those expensive scent wick things you buy. I steal them from my wife The first time she saw me taking them, she asked if there was something she should know about.

Be sure to use the lightest ones...the heavy ones are too thick. Also, tampons absorb a lot more liquid than the scent wicks, so just be mindful of that and don't soak up too much so you don't run out too quickly. I open up a bunch and keep them in a plastic bag so I'm not tearing them out of their wrappers while in the woods. I also pre-tie a loop knot on the string thing so I can hang it from a branch. I may cut them down a little bit too to make them less absorbent.

Feeling manly about this!!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

I'm using vanilla
Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
I'm using vanilla
How do you use vanilla? For bucks? For does? Does it work pre-rut? Do you just open a bottle? Or do you buy a bottle and soak a tampon in it and hang it on a tree?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.