Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My son got his first deer yesterday! >

My son got his first deer yesterday!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My son got his first deer yesterday!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default My son got his first deer yesterday!

I posted a few weeks ago about getting my son his deer tag this year and letting him hunt. We got set up last weekend and hunted Saturday between an uncut corn field and a tree line. Didn't see any movement so we moved his blind to another field Sunday and sat out there for a while. Didn't expect much as we were tromping around, moving the blind and setting up just minutes earlier.

Fast forward a few days to Thursday, me and a friend went out and put a corn pile for the boys to hunt over (legal in KS). Friday me and Breyden go out and about 10 minutes before sun set we see a doe. He takes the shot but misses. It runs away along with 3 others we didn't even see come in. We talk about how you wait until you calm down, get steady on the deer and just follow it with the scope until he/she is in the right spot to take the shot.

Now its Saturday, We go back out along with a friend and his son. Were sitting in the blind for a few hours and same 4 deer come in about 6:30 but spook before either of them could get off a shot.

Sunday (yesterday) Breydens at a friends and I'm grilling up dinner, with no plans to go out. He comes home, we eat dinner and its now almost 6:00. We have a 30 minute drive to our property we hunt (uncles land). I figure we could get in the blind right around 6:30-6:40, sunset is 7:26 so we can hunt till almost 8. I figured since its the last day of youth season I'll go ahead and take him 1 more time. We haul butt out the door, get to my uncles, grab his gun (Rossi .243), get my ATV and head out. Left the spotting scope, binos, camera and video camera in the truck as I didn't expect anything getting out that late and probably spooking anything on our way in. 6:40 were in our blind and at 7:00 I see this doe and her fawn come walking across the field from the left. I tell him they're coming in and have him shoulder the gun and get ready. He gets her in the cross hairs and after a about 20 seconds shes where he wants her so I get her to stop, he takes the shot and drops her in her tracks!!! We get out of the back of the blind, high five, hug him, tell him congrats and celebrate. We hang out for about 10 minutes watching the fawn wander around then jump on the atv and head down. He wants deer sticks so after posting this I'm off to Cabelas to get the seasoning and hopefully we'll have the smoker rolling with his sticks this evening!

Sorry for such a long post but figured being his first deer were all extremely excited and wanted to tell the whole story. I'll try to post a picture of him and his trophy.

Breyden, 10 years old, first deer season, Rossi .243 single shot. Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails My son got his first deer yesterday!-breydens-deer.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Spike

Congrats! That is a great story!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome. I can't wait 'till my kids are old enough. My daughter is 5 now, and I'm going to take her to shoot the .22 soon. My son is only 2, so we've got some time, LOL.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! Just got back from Cabelas so I guess its time to start grinding the meat, oh the fun part!

I wanted to take him when he was younger but he has ADD so there was no way he could sit still and be quiet. I was worried this year but we gave it a shot and I couldn't have asked for anything better. Everytime he was extremely quiet and still. He loves guns and shooting. Got his first bb gun around 5 yrs old, little .22 at 7 yrs old and at 9 he got this gun, a Rossi single shot with .22, 20 guage and .243 barrels. He'd be out shooting everyday if we lived in the country. Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! Congrats!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

congrats to your son!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Awsome congrats on a fine deer.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, there aint nothing like the first one.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats to both you and your son. I am sure that this is a time you two will always remember
Old 09-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

congrats thats a trophy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.