Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dummy in your stand?

Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dummy in your stand?

I'm thinking about putting the top part of a dummy in my stand so the deer will see it when I'm not sitting there. I'm thinking that maybe they'll get use to seeing something there and won't pay me so much attention when I'm sitting in it. Anyone else ever tried this ? Is it a bad idea? I have camo around the stand but they can still see me from the shoulders up. Would this help ?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Spike

hmm have no idea... but i like the way you think. I say give it a try and see how it works. Just one question though, what you gonna do with the dummy when u get in the stand?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the dummy can film your hunt.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Spike

I've heard of people doing it but never tried it. I've also heard of people putting an article of clothing in the stand to have there scent constantly in the area. Both ideas seem logical just never tried it.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Spike

There is a farmer, not too far from here, who uses a burned out combine for a stand. Her keeps an old mannequin in it year round and swears by it. The combine just happened to burn in a good location and he's killed several really nice bucks and dozens of does in the past 15 yrs.

Is it the manneguin? I'm not sure, since his son does equally well in a tree stand about 250 yds. away, just across the creek, with no mannequin. It certainly couldn't hurt anything.

If it was me, I think I'd fix my stand so the deer couldn't see me, or couldn't see me very well, from the shoulders up
Old 09-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Spike

It works in cop cars to stop speeders.
Doubt that deer would care very much one way or another.
I coulda nailed several doe last year from my lawn tractor while cutting the grass but I didn't have my bow with me. Is a gun rack on the lawn mower going too far?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by not the dogs
I'm thinking about putting the top part of a dummy in my stand so the deer will see it when I'm not sitting there. I'm thinking that maybe they'll get use to seeing something there and won't pay me so much attention when I'm sitting in it. Anyone else ever tried this ? Is it a bad idea? I have camo around the stand but they can still see me from the shoulders up. Would this help ?
Do you keep the stand there year around? If so, them deer pay no attention anyway.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes they do..i have a tripod stand, the deer looked right at me...after puttin "fred" the scarecrow in it, they never look twice now. the hard part is concealing fred when im in the stand. i think we r dressin him in cam this year, red shirt and blue jeans aint really cuttin it.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Spike

I guess it's a personal thing and how well the area coverage may be, but I am in the red oaks and im 17ft up in a double ladder that has been there 4 years. I never change a thing about it. Deer pass literally next to the ladder all the way out to max 30yds out, so most all this is very close comfort. I have some look in the trees or my way, I just try and close my eyes some so you don't look eye to eye with them, that's when they get spooked. Just don't move your head or body if they are looking at you. Hell I even smoke in my deer stand so it's all good. I shot 2-8 points last year and both times had a cig going lol. But the positive is this year is I quit smoking back in march.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

man..... this deer huntin stuff, is getting to advanced.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.