Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dummy in your stand?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I've been sitting in a stand that is only 15' high with basically no concealment, and deer walk within 12 yards of me. They simply don't really look up that often. If you are far enough away that they can see you without looking up, they probably can't see you because their eyes aren't too good.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

I remember seeing Roger Raglin do that in one of his hunting videos maybe 15 years ago.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Spike

I know there are alot of dummys in stands at times including me. LOL
Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I lock my stand to keep dummies out of it when I'm not there....
Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys I've been in the woods the past couple of days. Thanks for all of the comments. I think that I will try it. As far as where to put it when I'm in the stand, I do have cover around my stand and its big enough to just put it on the step of my stand. Oh, and I really like the idea of a gun rack on a lawn mower LOL. Stonewall 308, My stand is 15 ft high too. I'm not sure what it is about my area, but every stand or blind that I put up, deer always seem to look at me. Everyone else here has the same problem. I also have them walk right under my stand, but I was just trying to stop them from noticing me so much during bow season.

Last edited by not the dogs; 09-20-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

buy a cheap blow up doll and dress it in a camo shirt and pants. Bungee cord it to the stand so it doesn't blow away or fall.

When you get to your stand let the air out and put it into a hunting pack. When your hunt is over blow it back up and place it back into the stand..

Now the best part is. What is your story going to be when you go to the adult store to buy said doll? I am sure they never heard the use it for hunting story yet.

What are you going to tell the game warden if he catches you in your stand playing with a blow up doll..

Really Sir, i use it as a human decoy so the deer don't pay attention to me..

and you are on your own for telling your wife/gf and friends.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
buy a cheap blow up doll and dress it in a camo shirt and pants. Bungee cord it to the stand so it doesn't blow away or fall.

When you get to your stand let the air out and put it into a hunting pack. When your hunt is over blow it back up and place it back into the stand..

Now the best part is. What is your story going to be when you go to the adult store to buy said doll? I am sure they never heard the use it for hunting story yet.

What are you going to tell the game warden if he catches you in your stand playing with a blow up doll..

Really Sir, i use it as a human decoy so the deer don't pay attention to me..

and you are on your own for telling your wife/gf and friends.

thats funny, but a good idea...and i think just paintin it camo will werk...now just need a blow up bow er sumthin...ohh a base ball bat..i got a blow up one...ducttape it to the blow up doll....dang thing sqeeks though.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44
I remember seeing Roger Raglin do that in one of his hunting videos maybe 15 years ago.
i was thinking the same thing when i seen this. worked for him
Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

It is a Great Idea.

I know I've mentioned this in sevearl articles, and I've talked about it in numerous seminars at the Deer Classics and Deer/Turkey Spectaculars since 1989.

We often get so involved in doing everything right, or as we have been taught by trophy hunter/speakers and wirters, that we forget what deer see or smell on a daily basis. They often see a lot more human activity and smell unbnatural scents than we think about, especially if they are in agricultural areas. I've seen deer walk right by an old washing machine, a sheet of corrugated steel roofing, card board boxes, cans, bottles, bicycles chicken coops, junk piles, farming qequipment and junked cars.

This is a short excerpt excerpt form my book The Complete Whitet Addict's Manual. It is copyrighted and cannot be used without written permission of the author. I give that permission here for this site.

Offbeat Blinds
When you see deer sign near something that can be used as a blind take advantage of it. On one of the properties where I currently do deer and turkey research there are several trails and rubs within fifty yards of an old combine, and a large chemical tank used to apply liquid fertilizer to the farm fields. On another property the deer walk within five yards of an abandoned farmhouse, a broken down barn, and a VW bug. A hunter could easily stand in the hopper of the combine, cut a door and a shooting port in the chemical tank, or sit in the old house, barn or VW and take a deer as it walked by. For two years I actually researched deer on a property that had thirteen permanent 4x4 and plywood ladders and stands on it. Some of the stands were as long as 6 feet. There were deer trails as close as 10 feet from the stands, and I've had deer walk along those trails, when I was in them, including an 8 point 160 class and a 140 class 10 point, several times, because I was doing research and did not carry a weapon.

To get deer or bears accustomed (I refer to this as Familiarizing) to not only the sight of a human in a stand but also their scent and sound, I hang a pair of smelly socks, along with a shirt on a wooden hanger that has a metal hook. I screw a eye-screw into the tree and hang the hanger on it, which may cause it to click when the wind blows the shirt. And the moving shirt may get deer accusotomed to something moving in the stand. The socks deer get accusomed to your smell. You need to do this at least two weeks before you plan to hunt each stand, because it may take the animals that long to get accustomed to the sight, scent and sound. But, as long as nothing else alarms them, or you are not there, they will eventually get accustomed to it. And that makes it a lot easier for you to hunt that area.

I hope some of my ideas help some of you.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

this is a true story. i know this guy that did this when he had problems with people trespassing and hunting in his stands. one day he was taking his buddy to this stand to rifle hunt. his buddy knew about the trespassers but had no idea about the dummy in the tree stand. they get about a 100 yds from tree stand and the guy stops the buggy and asks his buddy if he sees that person in the stand. he reply's yes he says to him let me see your rifle he takes the rifle looks through the scope. and out of no where he shoots and the dummy falls out of the tree. now as i said before this guy that was about to hunt had no idea about the dummy in the tree. this guy starts freaking out thinking that his friend has just murdered a person with his gun now bad thing is he gets so worked up and keels over with a heart attack and had to have open heart surgery the next day he did live though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.