HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   do deer always look at you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/349869-do-deer-always-look-you.html)

not the dogs 09-16-2011 04:21 PM

do deer always look at you?

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but just about every time that I set up a blind or hang a ladder stand and camo it the best that I can, the deer always check me out to start with before they get comfortable. I always put up blinds and stands at least a month before hunting season. The stands are all 15 ft high. Am I just not covered well enough or is this just natural? They still get real close to me but I just don't like the idea of them knowing where I'm at. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

isatarak 09-16-2011 05:52 PM

It's not unusual. Shoot 'em when they look the other way.

bigge_al 09-16-2011 06:06 PM

I have found that once a deer has seen something move at that high they come in looking at trees, or blinds to see if anything is moving. If you are hunting in a treestand move it higher by a few feet and you will see a difference. The ground blind you can;t do much about unless you change the size in someway.

not the dogs 09-16-2011 06:08 PM

Isatarak, Thanks. I do wait until they get comfortable and not looking at me. I've had them 3 yrds away and they do finally go about their business giving me a shot at them. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong since they seem to always look in my direction. Its the does that really make me laugh doing the head bob and putting their head down to eat and coming right back up to try and catch me moving. The first year that I hunted they did bust me like that but I quickly learned not to move until they looked like they were really comfortable. They always put their head down and pick it right back up lol. Thanks for your comment. At least I know that its not unusual.

jmheywood 09-16-2011 08:15 PM

I read an article that made a great point in reference to this. The author made a comparison to the deer in his area of the woods with you in your living room. If something has been moved or changed in your own living room you will most likely take notice to it. As long as the deer tend to calm down I just try to be still. This is one reason why I always try to keep my rifle as close to the position im going to shoot as possible.

HardwoodHunter 09-19-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jmheywood (Post 3848724)
I read an article that made a great point in reference to this. The author made a comparison to the deer in his area of the woods with you in your living room. If something has been moved or changed in your own living room you will most likely take notice to it. As long as the deer tend to calm down I just try to be still. This is one reason why I always try to keep my rifle as close to the position im going to shoot as possible.

That's so true...and they're just not smart enough to think its an intruder. :sign0004:

Maddog10 09-19-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jmheywood (Post 3848724)

That's what I was about to say. If I came and sat in your living room, covered up in a blanket and tried to blend in well, I think you would still notice I was there. These deer walk through those same woods every single day, so what looks like a good disguise from our point of view is still a little out of the ordinary for them.