Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

darn fox!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Spike

Default darn fox!!!!

Bow season starts tommorow here in North Florida and we are all set with many deer coming in,we were all ready to go! 4 days ago a fox starts coming around and all of a sudden...no pics of deer just the fox!!!! What to do about this fox? Seems this fella scared everything off....no birds, no squierrells, no rabbits...nothing!!!:c onfused0024: I have been told that foxes and deer will cohabitat the same place with no problems but my pics say something different. anyone have this same problem?

Last edited by Flboarhunter; 09-16-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

How old are you? Trust the old guys and not your new improved cameras and other crap. One of the things I had to contend with when trapping fox was keeping the deer from messing up my fox sets. Fox urine and fox gland lure works as an attractant to deer. That is why you should not use it for a cover scent.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a fox buddy that I run into several times per year on this farm I hunt. I can't believe he is still alive. He is the most careless fox I have ever seen. Once I walked up on him while he was sunning himself in the field and thought he was dead because he didn't move until I was about 5 yards away! Another time he can barreling through the woods right at me and had no idea I was there until he put on the brakes and almost collided with me (granted, I was in camo and standing perfectly still).

Anyway, the foxes I see don't bother me and they don't seem to bother the deer either.

Gunplummer - deer attractant? That's news to me. Do tell...why are deer attracted to fox scents? And if it's something they are attracted to, why wouldn't you use them as cover? Not that I necessarily believe in cover scents, but that's another topic.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Spike

Well, that is good news.....I was starting to worry that the fox was scaring away the deer. I didnt know that fox urine was a deer attractant, I guess the fox is my friend at this point.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Spike

gunplummer, I don't know what age has to do with anything??
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default FLboarhunter

Seemed like a rookie question. I really would like to see a deer on film pawing around a fox set. When that trap goes off, a huge cloud of dry dirt explodes up from the trap. I bet that deer jumps straight up about 6 feet. I actually caught a few and the traps were usually bent beyond repair. I don't know why it attracts them, some one once told me it was the salt in the urine. Anyway, if you pour it on yourself or comb it in your hair or whatever you guys do with it, you are really pointing your self out to the deer.