Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

fresh cut corn fields

Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Spike

Default fresh cut corn fields

Do you guys pay any particular attention to freshly cut corn fields. I have access to several acres of corn fields with very little hardwoods around them. I haven't had much luck hunting directly on the field edge. Unfortunatly I can only hunt the field edge along with about 10 yards into the wood line. The fields have several hundred of acres of woods around them I just don't have permission to hunt it. The fields have a ton of tracks but i'm guessing is being used primarily during the night. The farmer said he will end up cutting the fields around mid to late October. Any ideas on how the deer will react to this. Thx.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a stand in a little strip of woods about 15 yards wide, with CRP on one side, and Corn on the other side. I dont see much activity while the corn is standing, but right after they pick it, and before they plow it under, it is a hot spot!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
I dont see much activity while the corn is standing, but right after they pick it, and before they plow it under, it is a hot spot!
x2

I tend to hunt the travel routes heavy during the early season, but as soon as the corn is picked I hunt that religiously for the next 5 or so days, heavy traffic for sure
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Spike

Are you guys sitting in the woods on trails or directly on the field edge?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

When the corn is cut, I sit in a monster double stand that is sitting on the field edge... The trails that they use are about 20 yards to the south, I can hear them coming, but not get a shot until they are on the field itself.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input brother, I know the deer tear the fields up but just not seeing anything while hunting. One other thing, how about when the rut is in, have you had any luck hanging out in a cut field during the rut or better of sitting in the woods near rub lines. I ask this because its gonna get cut sometime around the rut for this area.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

At one time, grain losses from harvesting machinery were so great that the fields were a wildlife buffet. Modern machinery has been so improved that grain losses are very small. If you can find a farm whose farmer still uses older machinery, the harvested fields are very attractive to deer.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:27 AM
Spike

My experience is similar to what someone else stated earlier, DEER would hit the field hard after it was cut. I would almost daily see deer right about an hour to hour and ahalf before dark. The land I hunted on had a shoot house about 30 yards into the field over watching two main trails. Normally I saw does, most of the old bucks were to smart to come out while it was still daylight.

Good Luck and Good Hunting!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jmheywood
Thanks for the input brother, I know the deer tear the fields up but just not seeing anything while hunting. One other thing, how about when the rut is in, have you had any luck hanging out in a cut field during the rut or better of sitting in the woods near rub lines. I ask this because its gonna get cut sometime around the rut for this area.

The BUCKS will be following the does, if does are in the field you can bet they are gonna want to play ball...they wont be far behind...if the rut kicks off and still not seeing any shootable bucks I would move maybe 15-30 yards into the woods. Odds are if he is following the does and your not meeting him in the field, hes smart enough to hang back inside the treeline till dark. THAT SAID a BUCK IN RUT IS KNOWN TO DO SOME PRETTY ODD THINGS...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Now that is the best piece of hunting intelligence I have read so far this month.

Originally Posted by keyshunter
At one time, grain losses from harvesting machinery were so great that the fields were a wildlife buffet. Modern machinery has been so improved that grain losses are very small. If you can find a farm whose farmer still uses older machinery, the harvested fields are very attractive to deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.