Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

muzzleloader question???

Old 08-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default muzzleloader question???

i have been wanting to purchase a muzzleloader for deer hunting, the only problem is , i no absolutely nothing about them. any suggestions for something easy maintence and to operate. any info would be great!!

good hunting
Old 08-11-2003, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader question???

I won' t make any specific suggestions for make or model, but I will give a few guidelines to use in your selection.
Check your State Laws about caliber and sight restrictions for muzle loaders for Deer hunting, they vary from state to state. There may even be states where the in-line muzzle loaders are not legal for Deer. Typically, anything larger than.45 is legal.
Easy maintenance suggests perhaps an in line which is marginally easier to clean than a traditional font end loader because most have a removabal breech plug.
Visit your local gun shop and handle several of the models available to judge fit and handling characteristics just as you might if you were looking for a smokeless rifle, you might even find somebody there that knows a bit about shooting Blac Powder.
Check the phone book or ask around to see if there are any clubs in the area for Black Powder shooters, visit your local range even if it is an informal range to talk to Black Powder shooters, most will be happy to help you with their experiences.
When you decide what you are going to buy, take some time to work up the best load for your gun and your shooting ability. Try out several different weights of bullet including the sabot rounds available. The pelletized Pyrodex is convenient and used by in line shooters very successfully and there is a new one on the market this year that is supposed to be an easy clean up powder.
Above all else, have fun with it, Black Powder shooting can be a very enjoyable and exciting experience but like most things in life, the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

Jim
Old 08-11-2003, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Coastie pretty well covered it.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

The T/C Omega is top of the line for easy cleaning, and has a long barrel for accuracy. I have the Encore, but the Omega looks like the best out there. What kind of dollars are you willing to throw at one?
Old 08-11-2003, 10:26 AM

how much is this Omega? i am also wanting to buy a in-line this year and i want one that will be easy to clean and shoot. and what is the difference between the omega and encore? thanks who_else
Old 08-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have been very happy with my Remington 700 ML for a number of years now.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too use a Rem. 700 MLS and it has always performed very well.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Omega costs less than the Encore, I believe. It should run about $450 or so, but I am not positive about that. The Omega has a revolutionary design where the trigger/breech assembly swings down so you can clean it very easily without having to take it apart. Snap it back in and you' re good to go. With the Encore, you have to disassemble some parts to clean it well. The Omega also has a longer barrel than the Encore for accuracy. The Encore has an interchangeable barrel system where all you have to change is the barrel to switch to a rifle or shotgun.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:54 PM

I just started muzzleloader hunting last year, didn' t know a thing about it either. The people at Cabela' s were real nice and told me what I needed to know. I bought a cheap CVA and a muzzleloading starting kit with the pyrodex pellets. The kit came with a movie, was very useful. Needless to say, I had everything I needed for under $200. And it is a blast to shoot and easy to clean.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:05 PM

I just started out with my first ml 3 years ago. Bought the Knight Wolverine II in camo & stainless steel. I think I paid around 325.00 from my local gun store, in stock. It too came with an informative video tape.
Like Coastie said, be prepared to purchase numerous different bullet for it to try out. You will definately shoot your shoulder sore trying different bullets & powder charge combinations until you find the one that your gun likes best.
Personally, my Knight likes the new Power Belt bullets, 295 grain, with 100 grains of powder. Sabotted bullets are somewhat difficult to load.
I also recommend cleaning the bore between shots while experimenting, as the powder residue in the barrel will affect your following shots. (Again, my experience).
The stainless steel barrel is supposed to be less likely to rust, as black powder is quite corrosive, plus it just looks great.
Good luck with whatever you get, it' s a lotta fun.

Tom